This no churn gluten free blueberry cheesecake ice cream is creamy and indulgent but so easy to make!
I just finished up the last of this ice-cream last night. It tastes just like cheesecake with swirls of homemade blueberry sauce and a little swirl of crust. It was the indulgent bite that I needed last night.
We’ve been working on potty training Miss E. Tuesday she did AMAZING! She wore 1 pair of big girl underwear all day and didn’t have a single accident. Not even a tiny a bit. She even made it through her nap with no accidents. We were ecastic! And so proud!
For everything there is an equal and opposite force… or day. As wonderful as Tuesday was, Wednesday was that much of a disaster. Accident after accident. And not just on the floor, on books, the couch (which my 4 month pregnant self threw backwards to make sure nothing had leaked through the couch onto the floor. Bad idea.) She even peed while running down our hallway to the bathroom, peed on the tile as soon as she entered the bathroom and slipped and hurt herself (which is kind of funny now. Yesterday it wasn’t.) I couldn’t understand what had happened! When my hubby came home from work needless to say I was exhausted and dinner wasn’t ready (I had spent the last 1/2 hour cleaning up after yet another accident.)
I heated up some leftovers and he played with Miss E to give me a break. They were laying on our bed watching some cartoons on our tablet and she was being really cute. Then she bumped her head… and when she started crying she peed all over my bed. Did I mention she was sitting on my pillow? Yup. I think I’m going to have to get a new one. I’m afraid that my super-prego-sense-of-smell will ruin that pillow forever.
Anyways that was the last straw. Miss E was super cranky because she had missed her nap and so she went straight to bed as soon as we cleaned her up, at 6:45. She was so mad, screaming and throwing a fit. And I was just done! I threw my own little temper-tantrum while trying to clean up the mess in our room.
Ice Cream to the rescue!
I know I have a terrible emotional eating problem, and I’m afraid that I’m gaining too much weight right now, but I didn’t care. I ate the last bit of that ice cream straight out of the pan and I don’t regret it one bit.
- 2 cups heaving whipping cream, chilled
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup kix cereal (or other gluten-free cereal)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ c. fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- First prepare the Blueberry Sauce so that that it has time to cool
- Combine all the blueberry sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened and the berries have burst. Let cool before using.
- Next prepare the Crust Swirl
- Crush the cereal and mix with the melted butter until it is evenly combined.
- Then prepare the Ice Cream Base
- Whip the cream using electric hand-beaters or a stand mixer until it reaches soft-medium peaks. In another bowl mix together the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add the lemon zest and and juice to the cream cheese mixture and combine. Add the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream and whip until combined.
- Lastly, Bring it all Together
- Pour the cooled Blueberry Sauce over the top of the Ice Cream Base and. Fold using 1 stroke so that you just gently swirl the sauce in. Sprinkle the Crust Swirl over the base and Fold using 1-2 more strokes. You don't want to over--mix or you will lose the beautiful swirls
- Gently pour the ice cream in to a loaf pan, which will blend the swirls just a bit more.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours, or overnight until it is frozen through.
- Recipe inspired by and loosely adapted from Something Swanky.
- You can use 1/2 cup of blueberry jam or pie filling instead of the homemade blueberry sauce to save a few minutes.
- I used Kix for the crust swirl because that is what we had on hand and I love the subtle crunch and light sweetness of it. You could also use Chex cereal, or another gluten-free cereal. Or you could use sugar cookies or GF graham crackers instead. Or if none of that is on hand, just skip it. I’m all about using what you have and making life easy. No way am I buying a box of specific cereal just to use 1 cup.