Gluten-free dairy-free pumpkin swirl brownies. Fudgy chocolate brownies swirled with sweet pumpkin pie filling. Chocolate and pumpkin are a match made in heaven, and it just gets better when brownies are involved. The brownies are super fudgy , you’d never guess that they are gluten-free and dairy-free!
Ever since I made those Pumpkin Spice Brownie Cookies I’ve had brownies and pumpkin on my mind. Seriously, why didn’t I think of that combo before?!?
I stopped by my local food co-op last week and they had these drool-worthy brownies that were marked for quick sale. It was one of the fudgy-est brownies, chewy too. And topped with a chocolate frosting and lots of nutty pecans. So when I had to make something for a potluck at church this week everything just clicked and I knew I had to try making pumpkin swirled brownies.
I have several brownie recipes that I love. Some are in my new cookbook, and one is here on Flippin’ Delicious (my favorite fudgy brownies) but I wanted to tweak it just a bit. A little less cocoa so the flavor isn’t quite as dark, oil instead of butter to make it dairy-free and moist, and of course a sweet pumpkin swirl on the top.
Even though we are already half-way through October I don’t think that will stop me from making these gluten-free dairy-free pumpkin swirled brownies throughout the year!
- ½ cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup my rice flour blend
- ½ cup 100% pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the oil, sugar, and cocoa until almost creamy (I used my stand mixer.)
- Add the xanthan gum, salt, vanilla and eggs and mix until combined. Add the rice flour blend and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread out using an offset spatula, or knife.
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the pumpkin swirl.
- Drop spoonfuls of the pumpkin mixture onto the brownie batter and gently swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean with only a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool before cutting