Gluten-free chocolate-drizzled lemon shortbread are lightly sweet, crisp, and buttery. The lemon zest in the cookies makes them taste so fresh and zingy, and the dark chocolate drizzled on top makes these shortbread oh so indulgent.
We are about to enter the Christmas (and other winter holiday) season, and we all know what that means. Lots of cookies!
I LOVE cookies and consider them my specialty. Cookies are just something that I feel like I’m really good at baking. Which is why I wrote a whole cookbook about them. Little bite-sized treats that I can bake with my kids, though honestly we don’t always make it that far. We all eat cookie dough, it is ok to admit.
So I love cookies, and these gluten-free chocolate-drizzled lemon shortbread are no different. The soft dough yeilds a very crisp, almost crunchy, cookie. The cookies are just lightly sweetened, which really lets the bright, fresh lemon zest stand out. It also means less sugar.
I used the newly reformulated I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread to make these tasty gluten-free shortbread cookies. The new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter has no hydrogenated oils, no cholesterol, and no gmo-sourced ingredients. Oh, and it is gluten-free too.
It is made from real ingredients you can recognize including a blend of plant-based oils, purified water and a pinch of salt. Nothing funky! I also love how it is soft and spreadable right from the fridge, and even though its not butter, it sure tastes like it.
Using I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread makes baking these shortbread cookies a breeze. You don’t have to wait for what seems like forever for your butter to soften, and you can whip up the dough in just minutes. You don’t even need to use a mixer!
You can find my gluten-free rice flour blend HERE.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup I Can't Believe It' Not Butter spread
- 1 egg yolk (optjional, see note)
- 3 cups my gluten-free rice flour blend
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
- ¾ cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, or parchment paper.
- Mix together the sugar and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spread. Add the egg yolk (toptional) and mix to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- Place the dough on your prepared baking sheet, place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the dough, and roll it out about ¼" thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 18-22 minutes. Immediately after you remove the cookies from the oven cut them into sticks using a dull knife or pizza cutter.
- Once the cookies are cooled, melt the chocolate and drizzle onto the cookies.
Next time you do your grocery shopping pick up the new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread so you can make these delicious shortbread and then let the world know what you think of it by leaving review!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Linked up at Imparting Grace