Gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. This recipe is perfect for fall, but I bake these gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins all year long!
I’m a big fan of pumpkin! I always have been, and one of the big reasons that I am is these gluten-free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I remember when I was a little girl making these muffins with my mom and sisters, except at that point none of us had heard of “celiac disease” or “gluten”. We would do all of our baking with home-ground fresh whole wheat flour (which probably contributed to our wide-spread gluten intolerance.)
Of course, now I don’t eat wheat (and neither does most of my family.) This is the same recipe that my mom always made with us, just with my gluten-free cake flour blend instead of wheat. I also added a little xanthan gum to help everything stay together.
My sisters and I always made our pumpkin muffins with the chocolate chips. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip is such a classic flavor that is near and dear to my heart. This was probably one of the first recipes I learned to make by myself when I was a little girl. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and banana pancakes.
I remember making a HUGE batch of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and freezing them before one of my sister’s was born. HUGE batch, like probably 8 dozen or something. Some of the muffins got the chocolate chips, some got raisins, some got a dollop of cream cheese, and some just got a sprinkle of cinnamon. I still remember pulling them out of the freezer after my sister was born on a warm January day.
I also remember helping my mom make these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins to bring to a baby shower when I was a little older. In June. There is nothing wrong with pumpkin chocolate chip muffins in June! Everyone loved them, my mom got several recipe requests.
I eat these gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins all year long! Pumpkin is a year-round flavor for me. If you can’t find pumpkin in say….April…just swap in the same amount of pureed sweet potatoes. They work just as well, and you can hardly taste the difference.
These Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins remind me of playing outside in the crisp fall leaves when I was a little girl and then coming inside to bake with my mom. They are just my favorite!
- ⅔ c. brown sugar
- 2 cups MY GLUTEN FREE CAKE FLOUR BLEND
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 egg
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- ¾ c. milk
- ¾ c. canned pumpkin puree
- ½ c. chocolate chips(optional) (dairy-free if needed)
- Brown sugar and extra cinnamon and nutmeg for sprinkling on the muffins(optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a "well" in the mixture and add all of the wet ingredients into that "well" and mix until just combined. There will still be a few lumps, but they will cook out. Add the chocolate chips, if want.
- Fill your muffin liners about ¾ full.
- If you didn't add the chocolate chips to your muffins you can sprinkle the tops with a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if you'd like.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick will come out clean.
If you don't have pumpkin puree available you can use pureed or mashed sweet potato. Just steam the sweet potato until fork tender and then mash or puree.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything from these links a small portion goes to Flippin’ Delicious, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Flippin’ Delicious! (for more info check out my disclosures.)