This Gluten Free Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich combines all of your favorite pizza flavors into a gooey gluten free grilled cheese sandwich!
This recipe is sponsored by Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free. As always, all opinions are my own. I really love Canyon Bakehouse’s products, which is why I work with them and share these recipes with you. I am one of their gluten-free partners!
I grew up in a family that LOVED grilled cheese sandwiches. I know that can be said of many households, but we really got our grilled cheese on. We would normally use cheddar cheese and homemade wheat bread (since it was LONG before we had ever even heard of celiac disease or gluten.) I wasn’t a fan of tomato soup unless it was in a christmas mug for me to dip my grilled cheese sandwich in.
My sister loves grilled cheese sandwiches so much that she served them with little cups of tomato soup at her wedding reception!
Speaking of grilled cheese, how you do you cut your sandwiches? I have always liked to cut my sandwich on the diagonal into 2 triangles.
I like tomato soup a lot more now, as an adult, but I feel like it isn’t necessary for this gluten free pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich. Each sandwich has 2 slices of mozzarella or provolone (my favorite pizza cheeses,) a thick layer of sliced pepperoni, and a little pizza sauce to complete the gluten free pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich experience. Also, and I think this is my favorite part… garlic butter.
Normally when I make a grilled cheese sandwich I spread the bread with a little mayo (like I did when I made Gluten Free Reuben Sandwich Dippers.) I you were to order a grilled cheese sandwich at a diner (if you know a celiac safe diner, let me know!) they would use mayo. It is a natural choice because you don’t have to wait for it to be at the perfect spreading temperature to avoid tearing your precious gluten free bread.
But pizza with mayo? I wasn’t feeling it. And the garlic butter… OH MAN!
Definitely the best choice! It really takes this gluten free pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich to the next level! It takes just a few extra minutes to make. I just softened some butter in my microwave and then mixed in a little minced garlic. That easy! The garlic butter really makes the gluten free pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich taste like a little slice of Italy.
Who doesn’t love the classic flavor of pepperoni pizza? I know that it isn’t everyone’s thing, there is always someone who is an exception, but pepperoni pizza is usually a safe pizza topping to order. MOST people love it! Likewise, I think that most people would love this gluten free pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich.
I think next time I might add a little fresh basil to my gluten free pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich. Make it more of a margherita pepperoni pizza grilled cheese.
What would you add to your gluten free pizza grilled cheese sandwich to make it perfect?
- 2 slices Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White or 7-Grain Gluten-Free Bread (I used 7-Grain)
- 2 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
- approx 12 slices gluten free pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon pizza sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Mix together the softened butter and garlic together until smooth and very spreadable. I just used a little bowl and a fork.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. (a steady lower heat will help the cheese to melt all the way before the bread gets too browned.)
- Now, make your sandwich! (optional, spread a little garlic butter on the inside of your sandwich) Top a slice of gluten free bread with 1 slice of cheese, then a nice layer of pepperoni. Then put a tablespoon of pizza sauce in the middle. Top with another slice of cheese, and the remaining slice of gluten free bread.
- Spread the top of the sandwich with garlic butter.
- Place the buttered side of the sandwich in the hot skillet, spread un-buttered (now top) of the sandwich with garlic butter and then COVER the skillet. (Covering helps to keep the heat in, again making a gooey yummy melty cheese.)
- Flip the sandwich after a few minutes, when the first side is golden brown (time depends on the heat.) Cover and cook until the second side is also golden brown.
- Remove from heat, cut in half, and enjoy. Optional: a side of pizza sauce to dip it in.