These Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich Dippers have all the spicy flavor of your favorite buffalo chicken wings (with blue cheese) in a crispy grilled cheese sandwich that is perfect for dipping. Because dipping is half the fun of eating buffalo chicken wings!
This post is a part of my partnership with Canyon Bakehouse. I honestly and truly LOVE their products. I love working with them, and sharing their products with you. As always, all opinions are mine alone. Thank you for helping me in supporting Flippin’ Delicious™ and the companies that support it.
I am a big fan of buffalo chicken! Buffalo chicken was one of my favorite foods as a newly-wed.
On one of my first dates with my hubby we had a buffalo chicken wing eating contest at a small restaurant while we watched a local band play. That was the first time I had buffalo wings, and I fell in LOVE (with buffalo wings and the handsome man covered in hot sauce.)
(A very handsome man who willingly cooperates as a hand model for his wife’s late night sandwich making and picture taking.)
Because of that oh-so-romantic date I tried (and failed) to make buffalo chicken wings on my honeymoon. I remember struggling to locate the right hot sauce in the grocery aisle. I still am not sure I picked the right one, but that was only the beginning of the problems. I tried baking the wings in the oven of my tiny studio apartment kitchen and I am pretty sure I managed to burn them without making any of the skin crispy.
Let me assure you, my chicken wing game is much better now.
But sometimes I really crave the flavors of buffalo chicken WITHOUT the hassle and work of frying up some chicken wings.
In come these gluten free buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich dippers… which I think I would pick over chicken wings most days. GASP!
The ooey gooey cheese and golden fried bread just do something for me that buffalo chicken wings alone can never do.
I used leftover rotisserie chicken which makes these gluten free buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich dippers a lot easier to make. Just mix the shredded chicken with some buffalo wing sauce and cheese and then sandwich the mixture between 2 slices of Canyon Bakehouse’s Mountain White Bread. I used a combo of blue cheese and mozzarella cheese in my filling. Blue cheese is a classic buffalo wing pairing but it won’t melt the same way that mozzarella cheese does. The mozzarella is just there so that the finished sandwich would have lots of gooey melted cheese. Because I like that.
I meant to buy Monterey jack cheese instead of mozzarella, but since I was shopping with both of my little “helpers” I didn’t notice that I had grabbed mozzarella until I got home. I think either mozzarella or Monterey jack would work fine as would any other mild-flavored, easy melting cheese. You want the flavors of the blue cheese to shine!
- In a small bowl mix together the chicken, hot sauce, blue cheese, and mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese. Divide the mixture into thirds and use it to make 3 sandwiches with the Mountain White Bread.
- Heat a skillet (I used a small non-stick skillet) over medium heat.
- Spread the top of the sandwich with a little mayo. Place each sandwich mayo side down in the hot pan, immediately spread the top of the sandwich with mayo, and then COVER the skillet and let cook for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. (Covering the skillet helps the cheese to melt.)
- Flip the sandwich and then cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the second side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Let cool slightly, cut each sandwich into thirds, and dip in ranch or blue cheese dressing as desired.