Gluten Free Coffee Brownies with dairy free espresso frosting make the perfect pick-me-up treat!
I LOVE COFFEE!
There, I’ve said it.
Nothing wakes me up after having my toddler climb in bed at 2am better than a latte in the morning. Iced or hot.
I simply love coffee.
Over the past year I’ve loved experimenting with adding coffee to some of my favorite recipes like in my chewy gluten free mocha chocolate chip cookies.
If adding ground coffee to cookies is amazing (which it is) then it should be equally amazing in brownies, right?
And then if I spread some espresso frosting all over the top.
And some chocolate sprinkles… because we put sprinkles on everything…
These gluten free coffee brownies with espresso frosting just speak my language! What better way to celebrate National Coffee Day tomorrow (9/29)?
The brownies themselves are super duper easy to make. I used my gluten free chewy dark chocolate brownies and added some ground coffee to the batter before baking. It was that easy!
You could also use my best gluten free fudgy brownies, or your favorite gluten free brownie recipe or gluten free brownie mix.
The ground coffee adds a depth of flavor and slight bitterness that really bring these brownies to the next level.
Grown up brownies! (or at least that is what I told my kids so that I wouldn’t have to share.)
I used fresh espresso for the frosting. You can use any strong brewed coffee, cooled. Just be careful to not add too much because then you’ll have soupy frosting. “I want soupy frosting” said no person ever.
The cocoa powder helps to thicken the brownies up a little bit. And of course the powdered sugar does too.
If you do accidentally add too much coffee to your frosting just add powdered sugar a little at a time until it becomes thick enough to spread.
- 1 recipe gluten free dark chocolate brownie batter or gluten free fudgy brownie batter (or your favorite gluten free brownie mix for an 8x8 inch pan)
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- ¼ cup vegan butter (or dairy butter if you can tolerate)
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1½ Tablespoons espresso, cooled
- chocolate sprinkles!
- Prepare the brownie batter according to recipe directions, stirring in 1 tablespoon of finely ground coffee with the dry ingredients. Bake as directed, cool and frost. And then add sprinkles according to your heart's desire.
- With electric beaters or in a stand mixer whip the butter until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes.)
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, the cocoa powder, and the espresso. Beat until combined and then add the remaining powdered sugar ¼ cup at a time until you reach the desired frosting consistency. Whip for another 2-3 minutes.