Gluten Free Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie, so creamy you’ll swoon and loaded with toasted coconut.
This post is sponsored by Vivian’s Live Again. As always, all opinions are entirely my own. Thanks for supporting Flippin’ Delicious™ and the companies that I work with!
I love to create coconut desserts in the springtime, like my dairy free gluten free coconut cake and gluten free coconut poke cake. Making homemade coconut cream pie, especially a gluten free and vegan one, could be a very daunting task. So I took a few shortcuts so I could spend more time with my family.
Since I started working at Dion’s Pizza last year, I have been on the hunt for ways to save time in the kitchen to maximize my family time. I love my day-job handling Dion’s social media, and it has been a big adjustment for our entire family.
This gluten free vegan coconut cream pie came together very quickly and easily, so I was able to cuddle with my kiddos on the couch and watch Moana with them after I put it in the fridge to chill. (Moana is our new favorite movie! Have you seen it yet?)
For the crust, I mixed some gluten free, vegan graham-style cookie crumbs with some melted vegan butter and pressed it into a pie pan. I let it firm up in the freezer while I mixed up the coconut pudding.
I mixed up a packet of Vivian’s Live Again Vegan Instant Vanilla Pudding with some canned coconut milk, for a subtle coconutty taste, and a few spoons of my homemade coconut extract. I simply whisked it until it was smooth, and folded in some toasted coconut chips into the pudding before spreading it into the crust.
The pudding will be soft-set in 20 minutes, and is even better once it has chilled for about 3 hours.
I haven’t tried any other vegan instant pudding mixes that will set up in dairy free milk like this one. It makes a great afternoon snack to share with my kids.
To top my gluten free coconut pudding pie I whipped up some of Vivian’s Live Again Vegan Whipped Topping Mix and a handful of toasted coconut chips. If you haven’t tried Vivian’s whipped topping mix you are in for a treat. I love having a shelf-stable whipped topping that I can whip up to add a sweet and creamy bite to whatever my dessert-of-the-day may be. All you need to prepare it is some water and a little bit of oil. It is magical watching it come together!
This recipe was so simple and easy to make, I plan to make it again around Easter. I love having fool-proof simple recipes for the holidays since there is already so much going on. This gluten free dairy free coconut cream pie fits the bill perfectly!
- 1 package Vivian's Live Again Vegan Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1½ cups canned coconut milk (I didn't use the thickest solid part, I saved it for another recipe. I used the bottom 1½ cups, and got plenty of creamy thick coconut milk)
- 1-2 tablespoonshomemade coconut extract (if you are using a purchased extract add a teaspoon or two, to taste)
- ½ cup toasted coconut chips
- 1½ cups gluten-free vegan graham-style cookie/cracker crumbs (I used one 6oz box of cookies, crushed)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 package Vivian's Live Again Vegan Whipped Topping Mix
- ½ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons oil
- approx ¼ cup toasted coconut chips, to garnish
- Prepare the crust my mixing the graham-style crackers and melted vegan butter and pressing the mixture into a pie pan. Place it in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Pour the canned coconut milk into a bowl and whisk the Vegan Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix into it. Whisk in coconut extract, to taste. Fold the toasted coconut chips into the pudding,
- Spread the filling on the crust, cover the pie with plastic wrap or foil, and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare the Vegan Whipped Topping Mix using the water and oil, according to the package directions. Top the pie with the whipped topping and sprinkle it with more toasted coconut chips.