Gluten-free cookie dough ice cream sandwiches will make any cookie-dough-fan swoon. They are dairy-free and vegan, so the whole family can enjoy them.
This summer I am celebrating #FrozenFridays with Go Dairy-Free, So Delicious, and more than 30 of my blogging friends. This recipe was created as a part of the Frozen Fridays recipe contest. As always, all opinions are my own.
I’ve been dreaming of the gluten-free cookie dough ice cream sandwiches for years. Each summer they are on a list of recipes I want to create, and I always run out of time to make them before the summer is through.
I couldn’t let another summer pass without making a cookie-dough enrobed attempt. I must say, these ice cream bars were worth the wait…
I felt like I should maximize the cookie dough in each bite. I mean, who doesn’t want more cookie dough? (unless you aren’t a fan, sorry.) To get the highest cookie dough to ice cream ratio I used So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Cookie Dough Frozen Dessert (and So Delicious Dairy Free Cashew Milk Chocolate Cookies and Cream Frozen Dessert, I couldn’t resist giving it a try too since it is my hubby’s favorite flavor.)
Also, important to note, because I used Non-dairy frozen dessert, these are actually DAIRY FREE cookie dough ice cream sandwiches, too! (and vegan!)
To make the cookie dough that I used to sandwich the frozen dessert, I made a few changes to my oh-so-popular gluten-free edible cookie dough (yes, cookie dough intended to be eaten with a spoon.)
Armed with this recipe (and all of the other creations in Go Dairy-Free & So Delicious’s recipe contest) celebrate your Friday with a frozen treat.
You may remember, I participated last year, and my Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Cake won the reader’s choice award!
Keep your eyes peeled over the next few days, these vegan cookie dough ice cream sandwiches aren’t the only frozen treat I’m sharing in the contest.
- ½ cup palm shortening or vegan butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons dairy-free milk
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup gluten-free flour (no xanthan gum, if possible! I recommend my cookie/cake blend)
- ½ cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- 1 pint So Delicious Coconut Cookie Dough Frozen Dessert (or So Delicious Cashew Chocolate Cookies and Cream Frozen Dessert)
- Cream together the palm shortening and brown sugar. Add the dairy-free milk, vanilla extract, salt and stir until combined.
- Add the gluten-free flour and stir until combined. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough in half. Press the dough into an ice cream sandwich mold, or press it ¼ inch thick onto a piece of parchment paper. Cut the dough into 2 rectangles about the same size. Put in the freezer for 10 minutes. (pull the frozen dessert out to soften.)
- Spread the frozen dessert evenly into the ice cream sandwich mold, or over one-half of the cookie dough. Top the frozen dessert with the other half of the cookie dough, creating a sandwich.
- Freeze until firm, about 2-3 hours. Cut into bars, and serve.