Gluten free lemon shortbread with chocolate drizzle are lightly sweet, crisp, and buttery. The lemon zest in the cookies makes them taste fresh and zingy.
We are about to enter the Christmas (and other winter holiday) season, and we all know what that means. Lots of cookies!
I LOVE cookies and consider them my specialty. Cookies are just something that I feel like I’m really good at baking. Which is why I wrote a whole cookbook about them.
Little bite-sized treats that I can bake with my kids, though honestly we don’t always make it that far.
We all eat cookie dough, it is ok to admit.
So I love cookies, and these gluten-free chocolate-drizzled lemon shortbread are no different. The soft dough yields a very crisp, almost crunchy, cookie.
The cookies are just lightly sweetened, which really lets the bright, fresh lemon zest stand out. It also means less sugar.
I used the newly reformulated I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread to make these tasty gluten free shortbread cookies.
The drizzle of chocolate on top makes these cookies rich and indulgent.
I baked these cookies just a few days before I went into labor with Baby T. Everyone loved having something sweet to snack on while I was in labor.
You can find my gluten-free rice flour blend HERE.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup I Can't Believe It' Not Butter spread
- 1 egg yolk (optjional, see note)
- 3 cups my gluten-free rice flour blend
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
- ¾ cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, or parchment paper.
- Mix together the sugar and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spread. Add the egg yolk (toptional) and mix to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- Place the dough on your prepared baking sheet, place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the dough, and roll it out about ¼" thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 18-22 minutes. Immediately after you remove the cookies from the oven cut them into sticks using a dull knife or pizza cutter.
- Once the cookies are cooled, melt the chocolate and drizzle onto the cookies.
Next time you do your grocery shopping pick up the new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread so you can make these delicious shortbread and then let the world know what you think of it by leaving review!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Linked up at Imparting Grace