Gluten free tiramisu cream puffs have all the flavors and textures of the classic Italian dessert in a fun bite-sized dessert. The perfect pick-me-up!
- Prepare the pate choux using my gluten free cream puff recipe and bake according to the directions.
- For the Espresso Pastry Cream
- Mix the gelatin with 1 tablespoon of cool water and set it aside to bloom for 5 minutes. Whisk in the hot espresso or coffee. Continue to whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In a saucepan whisk together the milk and cornstarch and heat while stirring until it starts to thicken.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- When the milk is steaming and slightly thickened, pour 1 cup of steaming milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Carefully pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan of milk, while whisking. Continue to cook over low heat until the pastry cream coats the back of a spoon and leaves a clean line when you wipe the back of the spoon with your finger.
- Whisk the vanilla extract, optional wine or brandy, and espresso gelatin into the pasty cream.
- Pour the pastry cream into a clean container and press plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin from forming as it cools. Chill before using.
- To finish the cream puffs
- Cut the cream puffs in half and remove any soft dough. Fill with the espresso pastry cream (I used a pastry bag but you can also use a plastic bag with a corner cut off.)
- Dust the filled cream puffs with cocoa powder, if desired.
Makes about 2.5 cups espresso pasty cream (enough to fill 1 batch of gluten free cream puffs).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 29mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 4g Protein: 1g