Share Gluten-Free Nutella® Stuffed French Toast with a cherry jam heart with your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day. If you are short on time before school and work an don’t have time for a hot breakfast, pack a sweetheart sandwich in their lunch box. ❤️
This post is Sponsored by Canyon Bakehouse. As always, all opinions are entirely my own. Our family loves Canyon Bakehouse, and their products are a staple in our home. Thank you for supporting Flippin’ Delicious™, and the companies that help me pay for my kids ballet classes.
One of my favorite holidays growing up was Valentine’s Day. My mom really made us all feel special! Maybe we would have pink cream of wheat for breakfast (back when we could eat gluten) or she’d make heart-shaped waffles with whipped cream and strawberries. The one thing that was really special is that she would set the table with name tags, and beside each child’s plate she put a small Valentine’s Day gift. They were small, and unwrapped. I remember the excited anticipation before we came down the stairs to the kitchen. It was so fun to see what she put by our plate!
I’ve tried to make festive Valentine’s breakfasts for my girls, the same way my mom did for me. This year, we are enjoying indulgent Gluten-Free Nutella® Stuffed French Toast! There is no syrup needed, it is bordering on dessert as-is.
Stuffed French Toast may sound daunting, but don’t stress! All I did was spread Nutella® on a slice of Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Style Honey White Bread and then top it with another slice with a heart-cut out before dipping into a mixture of eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. I fried it in a lightly-greased pan, and then added the jam heart.
I also packed Miss E a “sweetheart” sandwich for lunch, in the weeks leading up to Valentine’s day. It is a simple, yet fun way to bring a smile to her face and remind her how much I love her, even while she is away at school. I used Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain Bread for her sandwich, the original-sized slices are perfect for her Kindergarten tummy. You can easily create the same sandwich with peanut butter or SunButter, for a lower-sugar sandwich.
Of course, I added a Canyon Bakehouse Brownie Bite and some fresh strawberries to her lunchbox. I had to hide the Brownie Bites from my husband, if he gets even a whiff of them they disappear! They really are a family favorite, and the perfect treat to tuck into E’s lunchbox as a Valentine’s surprise. With a little love note, of course.
For both the Gluten-Free Stuffed French Toast, and the sweetheart sandwich, the secret to a smooth jam heart that stays put is to melt the jam. You can do this by either putting your jam in a microwave safe bowl and heating it until melted (30-60 seconds, depending on your microwave,) or stir it in a small saucepan over low heat.
From my family, to yours, I hope you have a Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 8 Slices [url href=”https://canyonglutenfree.com/buy-gluten-free-bread-products/Gluten-Free-Heritage-Style-Honey-White” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Canyon Bakehouse Gluten-Free Heritage Style Bread[/url] (I used Honey White)
- approximately 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk (I used flax milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cherry jam
- Spread 4 slices of Gluten-Free Heritage Style Bread with Nutella. Cut a small heart out of the other 4 slices using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, and place them on top of the Nutella.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg milk, and vanilla extract. Dip each sandwich into the mixture and let it soak into the bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles and dances away. Lightly grease the pan, then place a sandwich heart-side down. Cook until golden brown, anywhere from 2-5 minutes depending on your pan and cook top, then flip and cook for another 2-5 minutes.
- Place the jam in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30-60 seconds, or until melted and smooth. Alternatively, place the jam in a small saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring occasionally. Pour or spoon the jam into the heart and let cool slightly to set.
- Serve with powdered sugar, if you’d like.
Pack a Gluten-Free Sweetheart Sandwich in your kiddos' lunch box for Valentine's Day. With Nutella, Peanut Butter, or Sunbutter, you can customize this gluten-free sandwich to make it just how your child likes it and pack it in their lunchbox for Valentine's Day.
- 2 slices Canyon Bakehouse Gluten-Free 7-Grain Bread
- 1-2 Tablespoons Nutella, Peanut Buttter, or SunButter
- 2 Tablespoons of your favorite jam (I used cherry)
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut a heart out of the center of one slice of Canyon Bakehouse Gluten-Free 7-Grain Bread.
- Spread the other slice with Nutella, Peanut Butter, or Sunbutter, and then about half of the jam. Top with the slice with the heart cut-out
- Heat the remaining jam in a microwave safe bowl for 30-60 seconds, or until melted. Alternatively, melt in a small saucepan over low heat. Spoon or pour the jam into the heart. Let cool until set before packing.