This Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Cake makes the most epic celebration cake ever! Gluten free Vegan Brownies layered with gluten free dairy free cookies and cream and cookie dough ice creams, topped with coconut whipped cream, hot fudge sauce, and SPRINKLES!
This recipe is a part of The Coolest Creamiest Dairy-Free Recipe Showdown (for more info scroll down past the recipe) sponsored by Go Dairy Free and SoDelicious®. As always, all my opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting Flippin’ Delicious™ and the brands that I work with.
Every year on my birthday I try to make a cake more epic than the year before.
A little secret about me… I actually am not as big of a cake fan as you might guess. Yes, I love cake. But if given a choice between a gluten free cookie cake and a devils food chocolate cake…. I am going to pick the cookies.
This year for my birthday I made this Gluten Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Cake. Last year I made the aforementioned gluten free 3 layer cake with huge chewy gluten free cookies and my favorite american buttercream. This year my family is not only gluten free, but dairy free too. As I started brainstorming my perfect 25th birthday cake I recalled my 11th birthday.
My 11th birthday we were visiting my grandma, and she made my cake with me. Even back then, I would choose cookies or brownies with ice cream over a traditional birthday cake in a heart beat. At my grandma’s suggestion we baked a sheet-pan of brownies, softened ice cream and scooped it on top. Then we attempted to spread it smooth and then froze it until all my aunts, uncles, and cousins were there. After the candles and singing we
drizzled drowned each slice in my dad’s legendary dairy free fudge sauce (except back then it wasn’t dairy free.)
When I found So Delicious Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookies and Cream Frozen Dessert IN STOCK (it almost always is sold out in my Sprouts) and ON SALE I bought a pint. I also bought a pint of my favorite So Delicious Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookie Dough Coconut Frozen Dessert. In that instant I knew that I was going to make the most epic birthday cake ever! Definitely a cake worthy of celebrating a quarter of century of life!
Inspired by my 11th birthday cake, I baked 3 layers of my favorite dark chocolate gluten free brownies from my cookbook The Essential Gluten Free Cookie Guide. I made quite a few tweaks to my original recipe so that the brownies would be easier to slice frozen AND TO MAKE THEM VEGAN. I gave myself a big pat on the back when I succeeded!
I started with a layer of gluten free vegan brownie, and then spread the softened cookies and cream frozen dessert. Another layer of brownie and a creamy layer of cookie dough frozen dessert. And then another brownie!
I told you…. it is epic!
I froze it overnight before slicing it so that it would be firm and slice-able.
Each slice was topped off with a healthy dollop of So Delicious CocoWhip, my dad’s legen…wait-for-it….dary dairy free hot fudge sauce (made with So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk), and LOTS of sprinkles (because it was my birthday and sprinkles are my favorite.)
I shared my gluten free dairy free brownie ice cream cake for a small birthday celebration at my parents house with my daughters, hubby, and all of my siblings that still live at home.
There were no leftovers!
I’m not sure how I am going to out-do myself next year. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 😉
- 4 tablespoons flax meal
- 10 oz vegan dark chocolate (approx 1½ cups using larger chocolate wafers or chunks, approx 1¼ if chips)
- ½ cup oil
- 5 oz almond meal/flour (approx 1½ cups)
- 3.75 oz high quality gluten free flour (I used my cookie/cake gluten free blend) (approx ¾ cup using the scoop & sweep method)
- 12 oz white sugar (approx 1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Pint So Delicious Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookies and Cream Frozen Dessert, softened
- 1 Pint So Delicious Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookie Dough Frozen Dessert, softened
- 1 recipe dairy free hot fudge sauce
- So Delicious CocoWhip, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line 3 9inch round cake pans with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides.
- In a small bowl mix the flax meal with ¾ cup warm water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate and oil in 30 second increments until smooth.
- Add the sugar and stir until combined. Then add the almond meal/flour, gluten free flour, and salt and stir until combined.
- Add the flax meal mixture ¼ cup at a time, mixing until fully incorporated before adding more.
- Evenly divide the batter between the pans and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the edges look set and only the center jiggles slightly when you jiggle the pan.
- Let cool completely before removing from the pans and parchment paper.
- In a 9 inch round spring-form pan place the bottom brownie layer.
- Scoop the Cookies and Cream Frozen Dessert onto the layer and spread it out as much as you can into an even layer.
- Top with another brownie layer and scoop the Cookie Dough Frozen Dessert onto the layer and spread it out as much as you can into an even layer.
- Top with the last brownie layer and freeze for at least 2-4 hours so that it will be firm enough to slice. (I froze mine overnight.)
- Serve with CocoWhip, Dairy Free Hot Fudge Sauce, and sprinkles.
Raise a Pint Recipe Contest
Watch for amazing recipes by 21 talented bloggers, authors and recipe creators in this summer’s Go Dairy Free recipe contest, sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free. The entrants will use So Delicious Coconut Milk Frozen Desserts or Cashew Milk Frozen Desserts to create the Coolest and Creamiest treats. All recipes will be shared between July 10th and July 24th (follow the hashtag #RaiseAPint on Twitter and Instagram), and then you will be able to vote on your favorites! The recipe contest winners will be announced in August, and will include two $500 grand prize winners and two $250 runner-up winners.
Along with the contest, you can join in the #RaiseAPint Event, which will run from July 11th to August 5th. During this time, So Delicious will award 20 entries with an ice cream party prize pack. Simply share your moment on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and be sure to use #RaiseAPint! Full details here: Raise a Pint
Alexa of Flo & Grace
Brianna of Flippin’ Delicious
Cadry of Cadry’s Kitchen
Colette of Learning to Eat Allergy Free
Elizabeth of EBL Food Allergies
Hannah of Bittersweet
Jackie of Jackie Ourman
Jenn of Veggie Inspired
Jules of gf Jules
Kelly of The Pretty Bee
Kim of Kim’s Welcoming Kitchen
Kristina of Spabettie
Lacy of Making it Milk Free
Laura of Petite Allergy Treats
Megan of Allergy Free Alaska
Natalie of Feasting On Fruit
Rebecca of Strength and Sunshine
Sarah of Sarah Bakes Gluten Free
Sarah of A Whisk & Two Wands
Sharon of What the Fork
Wendy of Wendy Polisi