Gluten Free Butterbeer Cake inspired by Harry Potter! Gluten free pumpkin poke cake filled with butterscotch and frosted with dairy free cream cheese frosting or whipped cream.
Are you a Harry Potter fan? I loved Harry Potter as a teen, and of course I still do. I was always curious what butterbeer tasted like when I would read about the sweet wizard beverage.
Well now you and I don’t have to wonder. There has been a flood of butterbeer recipes on the internet the past few months and I just had to add one of my own to the mix.
This gluten free butterbeer poke cake!
I started with my gluten free pumpkin cake baked in a 9×13 pan, then I poked holes all over it with the wrong end of a wooden spoon and drowned it in butterscotch sauce. I made my own dairy free butterscotch sauce but if you can handle dairy you can also use store bought butterscotch sauce.
Once the cake is soaking in that sweet and buttery substance that is the backbone of butterbeer all that is left is to frost your cake and drizzle a little extra sauce on top! I used the same cream cheese frosting that I frosted my gluten free pumpkin cake with for these pictures, but I also tried using dairy free whipped topping. The cream cheese frosting ended up looking prettier because it was super hot where I was taking pictures and my dairy free whipped topping started to melt, but I think I preferred the taste of the whipped cream.
You really can’t go wrong either way!
Next time I am going to put a butterbeer twist on my gluten free pumpkin cupcakes!
Now, enjoy Halloween the way your favorite wizards would, with a hefty slice of this gluten free butterbeer cake!
If you are looking for a lower-carb treat for your witches and wizards, try Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food’s Low Carb Pumpkin “Sex in a Pan”. It is a great low-sugar pumpkin dessert for Harry Potter fan’s of all ages.
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake
- 3/4 cup butterscotch sauce, plus extra to garnish (storebought or homemade, see post above)
- dairy free cream cheese frosting (from my gluten free pumpkin cake recipe
- Poke holes into your gluten free pumpkin cake 1.5 inches apart using the wrong end of a wooden spoon.
- Drizzle the butterscotch syrup over the top and gently spread into the holes.
- Spread the cake with dairy free cream cheese frosting, dairy free whipped cream, or your favorite frosting.
- Refrigerate until serving. Drizzle with some extra butterscotch syrup to serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 71Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 3mgSodium 73mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 0gSugar 13gProtein 1g
All nutrition info is a guestimate and will vary depending on the ingredients you use.