Sweet, buttery puff pancake studded with plump fresh blueberries. This gluten-free blueberry puff pancake takes just a few minutes to whip up, and then just toss it in the oven while you finish getting ready for the day. The perfect breakfast to get your day started!
My family has been making some version of this recipe for what seems like forever. I remember waking up early to make it for Father’s Day and Mother’s day when I was probably 10 years old. It is so easy!
You just melt the butter in your baking dish while the oven preheats, mix together all the batter ingredients, and then let it hang out in the oven while you go about your morning. Whether you are getting ready for work, getting your kids ready for school, or taking it easy and browsing the internet (maybe even perusing Flippin’ Delicious,) once you are done you have a nice hot, buttery sweet gluten-free blueberry puff pancake.
Another reason I love this gluten-free blueberry puff pancake recipe is that it has a lot more eggs in it than normal pancakes do. Eggs=protein. And protein is a great way to start your morning. I actually find it is much easier to whip up a puff pancake than cook eggs for my family. About as much prep work, but I don’t have to stand over the stove constantly watching them, stirring them, flipping them.
Also, it is still a pancake and not eggs. I LOVE pancakes for breakfast!
If you are in search of a paleo pancake-y breakfast option I think you’ll love these Paleo Crepes my friend Sheena from Noshtastic made.
The recipe is pretty fool-proof. You don’t have to worry about lumps in the batter. They bake out!
I’ve even made them in the microwave when I’m in a rush. Mind you they aren’t nearly as good in the microwave. Because of all the eggs it has a very eggy texture. I love the eggy, almost custardy, texture with the chewy browned buttery edges you get when you bake it. When you microwave it you just don’t get those edges and it isn’t quite as appealing. BUT you can do it when you are in a rush and you want a sweet protein-filled breakfast.
So, if you are looking for a sweet, chewy, buttery, puffy, protein-filled, gluten-free, blueberry pancake breakfast stop right here. You’ve found it!
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or vegan buttery spread)
- 1 cup milk (dairy free works great!)
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 cup my gluten-free rice flour blend (or another similar gum-free blend)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the butter in a 9x13 pan and place in the oven to melt while the oven preheats.
- Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the blueberries together, in the order given.
- Pour the batter into the pan, scatter the blueberries evenly over the top, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pancake is puffed and set.
- Cut into squares and top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, a drizzle of syrup, whipped cream, or all of the above.
Linked up at Gluten-Free Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday
Linked up at Merry Monday