What is Vegan Mac & Cheese?
Vegan macaroni and cheese sounds like a contradiction, but this recipe proves that cheese-less mac and cheese can be just as creamy, gooey, and delicious as its dairy-filled counterpart.
Just because you eat dairy-free and gluten-free doesn‘t mean you have to miss out!
And for anyone who is gluten-free, the pasta used in this recipe is the best option.
This recipe is for a gluten-free vegan mac and cheese that is dairy-free.
Macaroni noodles are covered with a creamy and cheesy sauce made from steamed carrots and potatoes with flavor from garlic, mustard, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast flakes.
It gets some extra color and flavor from smoked paprika and turmeric too!
What are the Different Types of Vegan Mac and Cheese?
There are many different types of vegan mac and cheese out there, each with its own unique flavor and ingredients. Vegan substitutes are widely available now!
There are lots of different ways to make Vegan macaroni and cheese, from more traditional recipes to ones that have cashews, carrots, butternut squash, or cauliflower.
Some types of vegan macaroni and cheese that are worth mentioning:
-Vegan Macaroni and Cheese made in the blender:
This vegan mac and cheese recipe has hidden veggies in it, the sauce is made with carrots and potatoes! When steamed and then pureed in the blender, they make a delicious cheesy sauce.
Vegan macaroni and cheese is filling, satisfying, and incredibly easy to make at home. It's also a great way to get veggies into your diet or into your picky eater’s tummy.
-Cashew Creamy Macaroni and Cheese:
This is a basic recipe for vegan cashew macaroni and cheese. It is made with cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice.
-Easy 1 pot no-drain Mac and Cheese made with vegan cheese:
This vegan mac and cheese will show you how to make a creamy and rich dish without using any dairy. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to make this dish with just a few simple ingredients.
I use dairy-free milk and gluten-free pasta in my easy no-drain vegan mac and cheese recipe and then stir in some vegan cheese shreds.
-Traditional roux-based mac and cheese with vegan cheese shreds:
Roux-based mac and cheese is a traditional Southern dish with a thick, cheesy sauce. This dish is made with white roux, dairy-free milk, vegan butter, and cheese-style shreds.
The vegan version of this recipe replaces the dairy ingredients with non-dairy butter and vegan cheese shreds.
Best Gluten Free Vegan Boxed Mac and Cheese
My favorite boxed gluten free vegan mac and cheese are Daiya and Banza! They both give me consistent results and are easy to make.
How to make vegan gluten-free macaroni and cheese:
Our gluten-free vegan mac and cheese recipes are made with a combination of wholesome ingredients like nutritional yeast, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and mustard.
This easy gluten-free vegan mac and cheese recipe is suitable for a quick weeknight dinner when you want something comforting to eat.
There is no dairy in the recipe, but this creamy sauce is rich, satisfying, and totally delicious.
What ingredients do you need to make gluten free vegan macaroni and cheese?
To make gluten free dairy free macaroni and cheese in the blender you'll need:
- carrots, peeled cut into ½ inch pieces- these are blended in the sauce for some hidden nutrition and color.
- potatos, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces- these get blended into the sauce and create a delicious creamy texture.
- 12 ounce package of gluten free shells or elbows- my favorite brands are Jovial and Banza.
- Olive oil- important for the texture and flavor. You can't have flavor without fat!
- Soy Milk or your favorite dairy free milk that works with your food allergies. Rice milk, almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk should all work. Be sure to pick an unsweetened plain (not vanilla) milk for the best flavor.
- Mustard- brings some sharp cheddar flavor!
- Smoked Paprika- for both flavor and color.
- Turmeric- gives some great color to your vegan mac.
- Lemon juice- the acid helps your vegan mac taste cheesy.
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes- these are a dairy free are secret weapon in your dairy free/vegan pantry for making things taste cheesy! I've made the mac and cheese without it, and it has still been delicious, however I feel like it is even better with nutritional yeast flakes.
- Salt & Pepper.
How to make vegan macaroni and cheese sauce recipe in the blender:
First, take a medium-sized pot filled with water and put it on medium-high heat.
Next, take the carrots and potatoes and peel off the skin. Chop them into cubes ( ½ inch pieces) and place them into the pot.
Boil the vegetables for at least 15 minutes or until they soften enough to make a purée.
Once the vegetables soften, add them into the blender and add the soy milk, smoked paprika, turmeric, olive oil, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, salt & pepper and blend for at least 5 minutes or until the sauce smooths and looks cheesy.
Something magical happens when you blend everything up, and the sauce actually has a creamy gooey texture just like melted cheese sauce.
What gluten-free pasta makes the best mac and cheese?
What is the best gluten-free pasta for macaroni and cheese?
Gluten is a protein found in wheat flour, which can cause digestive and inflammatory problems for many people, and eating a gluten-free diet is the only treatment for celiac disease.
Some people who have trouble digesting gluten opt for a gluten-free pasta option because it is less likely to cause them any problems.
The first thing I look for is a short shape of gluten free pasta, that will hold onto the creamy vegan cheese sauce.
My favorite gluten-free kinds of pasta for mac and cheese are the shells or elbows made by Jovial, Banza, or the gluten-free Barilla elbows.
In my experience, these gluten-free pasta shapes hold up well and simmer to the perfect al dente texture.
Some gluten-free pasta can easily overcook and become mushy or don’t reheat well. I haven’t had those problems with Jovial and Banza!
Bonus, Banza is made with chickpeas so it has extra protein in it too.
Once you have your vegan mac and cheese sauce and your gluten-free pasta, you just have to combine them.
Now that the pasta and the sauce are ready, we will take a large saucepan or bowl and add the pasta.
Place the saucepan onto low heat and pour the vegan cheese sauce making sure you toss around the pasta so the sauce covers all of it.
If your sauce is still hot and doesn’t need reheating, you can combine the gluten-free macaroni elbows and vegan blender cheese sauce in a large serving bowl.
These tasty dishes are sure to become your new favorite comfort food.
- 1 cup carrots, peeled cut into ½ inch pieces (about 2 carrots)
- 1 ½ cups potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 12 ounce package of gluten free shells or elbows
- 2 tablespoons Olive oi
- ½ cup Soy Milk
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- First, take a medium-sized pot filled with water and put it on medium-high heat.
- Next, take the carrots and potatoes and peel off the skin. Chop them into cubes ( ½ inch pieces) and place them into the pot.
- Boil the vegetables for at least 15 minutes or until they soften enough to make a purée.
- Cook your gluten-free pasta according to the package directions.
- Once the Vegetables soften, deposit them into the blender and add the soy milk, smoked paprika, turmeric, olive oil, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, salt & pepper and blend for at least 5 minutes or until the sauce smooths and looks cheesy.
- Get a large saucepan and add the pasta. Place the saucepan onto low heat and pour the vegan cheese sauce making sure you toss around the pasta so the sauce covers all of it. (if your sauce is still warm, you can just combine the pasta and sauce in a large serving bowl.)
You can use any dairy free milk that works for your allergies.
My favorite gluten free pastas to use in this recipe are Jovial and Banza. My favorites are their gluten free shells and I also love their gluten free macaroni elbows.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 286Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1408mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 7gSugar 4gProtein 12g
All nutrition info is a guestimate and will vary depending on the ingredients you use.