Gluten Free 1 Pot, No-Drain, Mac n Cheese

This page may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Flippin' Delicious!

This gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese is ready, start to finish, in 15 minutes. Easier than the box, and WAY better! Dairy-free option too. This recipe will change your life!

Photos updated April 2016

You have to make this right now.
It really is so easy, and so delicious. Gooey melted cheese, creamy sauce, perfectly cooked pasta. It is stupid good!

I have made this gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese 3 times in the last week.
Seriously.

The first time I tried to make this gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese I used more milk and had to tighten up the sauce with some cornstarch, but 1 bite and I decided I had to perfect and share my recipe.

The second time I made gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese it was when I took the original  photos. Miss E and I ate it all for lunch. At this point we still hadn’t shared any with my sweet husband.

The third time I made it this gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese I accidentally added way too much salt, so it was kind of like eating a salt lick. A yummy cheesy noodle salt lick. Just don’t dump in 2 tablespoons of salt by accident and you’ll be fine. This was the first time we shared with my husband, kind of a poor first impression. We did top it with chorizo for a little protein and extra kick of flavor.

Original Photo from 2014

15 minutes start to finish.
Costs less than a box of gluten free mac and cheese, makes way more, and tastes a billion times better.
This gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese recipe will change your life!

Update April 2016:

I still make this recipe ALL the time! My daughter and my hubby recently have had to cut dairy out, so I have been making this gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese even more, but using non-dairy milk and cheese to make it dairy free.

This DAIRY FREE gluten free one pot no drain mac n cheese is ready, start to finish, in 15 minutes. Easier than the box, and WAY better! This recipe will change your life!

Dairy free version!

Be sure to use an unsweetened nut or soy milk, or it will be sweet and nasty. Who wants vanilla-flavored mac n cheese? NOT ME! I have used Cashew Milk, Soy Milk, and Almond Milk all with great success!

I have only tried Daiya cheese so far, but it came out oh-so-creamy! Even my always skeptic hubby was impressed!

Gluten Free 1 Pot, No-Drain, Mac 'n' Cheese

Cook time
Total time

This gluten free one pot, no drain, mac n cheese is ready, start to finish, in 15 minutes. Easier than the box, and WAY better! Dairy-free option too. This recipe will change your life!
Author:
Serves: Serves 4 (6 as a side)
Ingredients
  • 12 oz (approx 3 cups) gluten-free elbow pasta (or penne or other short pasta)
  • 2¼ c. milk (I've used nut milk and soy milk with great success)
  • 2¼ c. water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1½-2 c. grated cheddar cheese (or use your favorite dairy-free cheese, I have used Daiya with great results) (Daiya mozzarella is what is pictured)
  • Pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Dump all ingredients, except the cheese, into a large saucepan.
  2. Stir, cover, and heat over med-high heat until it comes to a boil.
  3. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the pasta is cooked al-dente. The liquid will thicken as it cooks creating the sauce.
  4. Once the pasta is cooked stir in the cheese and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve while hot.
Notes
You can add more cheese if you want. I kind of eyeball it and stop when I think it is good and cheesy.
As it cools, the mac and cheese thickens up and can become clumpy or grainy as the cheese sets. This is normal and only happens if your mac and cheese gets cold. The best solution is to eat it all! I did not have the same issue with dairy-free cheese.
When re-heating leftovers be sure to add a little extra milk. That helps the mac n cheese to not be grainy (see the paragraph above.)

Comments

1. says

I am trying this right now. Looks so yummy. When I went gluten-free a few months ago I met with you Mom to get a lot of questions answered and all her favorite recipes. For this, may I ask what brand of noodles you are using? I am using what I have on hand, but am wondering what brand my be best for mac and cheese.

• says

I use Heartland and Sam Mills Pasta de’Oro, both from Walmart. I use them mainly because they are the least expensive and both don’t get too soggy. My all time favorite GF pasta brand is Tinkyada. It costs more but holds up even better than the other brands.

• says

I believe it is just a little bit of Italian seasoning. A little sprinkle on top doesn’t really change the flavor, because the herbs won’t impart their flavor without liquid and heat applied to them. It really just makes the picture prettier.

2. Kim Martine says

Just made this using corn-based pasta. I need to add a bunch more liquid (at least a cup) and also used dry mustard for flavor. My husband (who is not gluten free) loved it and couldn’t tell the difference. Great thickness and creaminess to the sauce and SO EASY and quick.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

My guess is that it probably had something to do with what cheese you used. What kind of cheese did you use? I’ve never had that problem before.

• hilary says

If the mixture was very hot the cheese will separate. Try adding it gradually and don’t let it boil, whatever you do.

3. says

Whoa- this is so much better than I could have imagined! Super creamy! I don’t think I even wanted as much cheese as I usually do, because of the creaminess! I won’t be using any other recipes for this again. Thanks for sharing!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Enough liquid should evaporate out of the pot as the pasta cooks. Then it thickens up after you add the cheese, as it cools. If it didn’t thicken up I’d try letting more liquid cook out before you add the cheese.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

For this recipe I measured the pasta by volume, not weight so I can’t tell you the ounce measurement. Sorry!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I’m not sure, but go ahead and experiment and comment back letting everyone know.
      I seem to recall one of my friends trying it with Daiya and it working great, but I can’t remember for certain.

4. Danielle says

I just made this and it’s so good! I halved everything because it’s just me. I also used equal parts cheddar, muenster, mozzarella, and monterrey jack cheeses (trying to use up leftover chunks in the fridge!). I hit it with a little pepper and seasoned salt at the end and BAM! I was surprised that the sauce turned out so creamy with no thickener. I will def make this again! Thanks and YUM!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

The more cheese the merrier, that sounds delish. I’m so glad that you enjoyed it Danielle!

5. Ingrid says

This recipe was so delicious!!! I was really skeptical about it because it sounds so simple and like it would just be too plain. I didn’t alter the recipe at all and it was very good!!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I would not suggest using Velveeta for this recipe. The cheese helps to bring the sauce together. Velveeta would probably be greasy.

Trackbacks

1. […]  No-Drain Mac ‘n’ Cheese (GF)   Huevos Rancheros Casserole (GF)  Oven-Roasted Potato Wedges (GF, DF, V) Asian PB Chicken Lettuce Cups « No-Churn & Gluten-Free Blueberry Cheesecake Ice CreamIs is a boy? Or is it a girl? Gender Reveal and a yummy treat! » […]

2. […] One Pot Mac N’ Cheese – I recently discovered this recipe via Pinterest when I was looking for gluten-free recipes for the hubby. Now it’s in regular rotation in our dinner meal plans. Sometimes, I even make it for lunch when I am short on groceries or ideas. If you can believe it, you make it all in one pot! That means you don’t even have to strain the pasta. Just use a good cheddar to ensure the creamy texture.  […]