Nothing beats a slice of warm, yeasted gluten free cinnamon bread. Surprisingly easy to make, with a real cinnamon sugar swirl.
Gluten Free Cinnamon Bread Recipe
Growing up, cinnamon swirl bread was always a special treat. When I was a kid, my family knew someone who had a hook-up at a local Pepperidge Farm factory. They’d invite us to pick up extra loaves that were going to be discarded. I would also hunt through a huge pile of bread looking for all of the cinnamon swirl loaves.
I wasn’t a fan of the cinnamon raisin bread, but the cinnamon swirl bread was my jam! I’d toast it with butter. I’d smear it with peanut butter to make the best sandwich ever.
I have such fond memories of cinnamon bread. I wanted to create a gluten free cinnamon swirl bread recipe I could share with my kids.
On the back of Vivian’s Live Again’s Gluten Free Ancient Grain Muffin Mix there are directions for making gluten free yeast bread.
When I first made this discover, I thought it was the perfect time to try making a gluten free cinnamon yeast bread!
Since this gluten free cinnamon bread recipe starts with an affordable gluten free muffin mix, it is incredibly easy and approachable to make your own gluten free cinnamon roll bread!
I made gluten free dairy free cinnamon bread, however you can use dairy milk if you prefer.
How do you make gluten free yeast bread?
Making gluten free yeast bread is very different from making traditional wheat yeast bread. There are a few things to keep in mid when making gluten free yeast bread. However, with a few ingredient and technique adjustments, making gluten free yeast bread doesn’t have to be hard or complicated!
A few tips and tricks to make gluten free yeast bread:
- To get a gluten free yeast bread with the right bite and texture, the dough has to be much wetter than a wheat yeast dough. The challenge is that it is very difficult to shape such a wet yeast dough. It is more like a batter than a dough! You can’t roll out the dough, sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar, and then roll it back up like you would with a traditional cinnamon swirl yeast bread. To get a cinnamon swirl in my gluten free cinnamon roll bread I layered cinnamon sugar with the gluten free yeast bread batter, and then is swirled as the bread rises and bakes. I used the same trick in my gluten free pumpkin cinnamon swirl quick bread recipe.
- Don’t punch down or knead the dough a second time. The reason you knead dough is for gluten development, but in gluten free bread there is no gluten to develop! If you punch down or knead a gluten free yeast bread dough it won’t rise again and you’ll have a tough bread brick.
- You may need some extra leavening. You may find some gluten free yeast bread recipes have baking powder in them. This will seem odd at first, but some recipes need a little more lift. The gluten free muffin mix I use in this gluten free cinnamon yeast bread recipe has baking powder in it, helping to ensure that the bread rises properly.
- Not all gluten free flours work well for gluten free yeast bread. I grew up on 100% whole wheat bread so I love using Vivian’s Live Again’s 9 Grain Flour or Ancient Grain Muffin Mix for all or part of the flour when I make gluten free yeast bread. I love the whole grain taste from my childhood!
- Because gluten free bread doesn’t have gluten to provide structure like in normal bread, it can have a harder time rising without falling on itself. One thing that helps is to use a taller bread pan. I use a 9×4 inch loaf pan instead of a 9×5 inch pan to bake my gluten free cinnamon bread. The taller and narrower loaf pan helps the bread to rise properly.
How do you make gluten free cinnamon swirl bread?
It is actually really easy to make a cinnamon swirl in gluten free yeast bread. I wanted to put together a video showing you how I did it, step by step. It is harder to explain how to do it than it is to just do.
The one thing you want to be careful of is adding too much cinnamon sugar in one spot. The cinnamon sugar will sink through to the bottom of your gluten free cinnamon yeast bread and become deliciously sticky and sweet.
While delicious, I wasn’t going for a sticky-bottomed gluten free cinnamon bread.
If you are looking for more gluten free bread recipes, here are all the gluten free bread recipes on Flippin’ Delicious.
I also have an entire Pinterest Board full of gluten free bread recipes and ideas. Check it out!
- 1 Package Vivian's Ancient Grain Muffin Mix
- 2 1/2 tsp Dry Active Yeast (or 1 yeast packet)
- 1 1/2 C Water or Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbs Oil
- 1 teaspon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add 1 package of Vivian's Ancient Grain Muffin Mix to a mixing bowl. Add the yeast and mix to combine.
- Add the water or milk, eggs, and oil to the muffin mix and beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour about 1/3 of the gluten free bread batter into a greased 9x4 inch loaf pan.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the cinnamon sugar on top of the bread batter, leaving about a 1/2 inch space around the edges.
- Spoon a few spoonfuls of batter on top of the cinnamon sugar, then sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar. (See video in post above, it is much easier to watch than to explain.) Repeat until you've used all of the cinnamon sugar, ending with the gluten free bread batter. Spread the batter smooth.
- Cover and let rise until is has risen about 1/2 an inch. Do not let the bread rise over the top of the bread pan!
- Bake in a preheated 350°f oven for 55-65 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 202°-205°f is reached. Let cool slightly, then remove from the pan.
If you don't have a 9x4 loaf pan you can use a standard 9x5 loaf pan, but will probably need to decrease the bake time and will have a shorter, flatter rectangle slice instead of a square.
You can make your own Whole Grain Muffin Mix to use in this recipe, if you want. Simply whisk together:
2 cups of 9 Grain Gluten Free Flour Blend
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
Ancient Grain Muffin & Bread Mix, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free by Vivian's Live Again- 2 Pk
USA Pan Bakeware Pullman Loaf Pan With Cover, 9 x 4 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.