The ultimate Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe! With crispy chewy edges and fudgy center these are everything a chocolate chocolate chip cookie should be, and they are gluten free, dairy free, and have a vegan option.
This post is sponsored by Enjoy Life and their baking chocolate. As always, all opinions are entirely my own. I only work with companies whose products I love. Thank you for supporting Flippin' Delicious™ and the companies I work with.
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookie monster ain’t got nothin’ on me!
Cookie Monster only eats one kind of cookies. Chocolate chip.
While I certainly don’t have anything against chocolate chip cookies, I have several different gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipes that I adore and bake often, sometimes I want to up my cookie game.
Sometimes I want chewy double chocolate chip cookies. With two kinds of chocolate chips.
These chocolate chocolate chip cookies are for all the dairy free gluten free chocoholics out there!
You don’t have to use two kinds of chocolate chips if you don’t want to. I love the semisweet and dark combo of Enjoy Life’s Mini Chips and Dark Morsels, but you can always do 2x the amount of one.
I’m always a Mini Chip gal. Mini Chips means you get more bits of chocolate in every bite.
Fresh from the oven, the edges of these gluten free double chocolate chip cookies are crisp and chewy with a rich fudgy middle.
In some ways, the cookie reminded me of the corner piece from a great batch of gluten free brownies.
Just with more chocolate.
How to make double chocolate chip cookies gluten free and vegan?
To make this Gluten free Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe I made a few changes to my gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe beyond just adding cocoa powder.
- I added some white sugar to help the cookie have crisp, chewy edges. I realized that at some point, I had drastically cut down on the amount of sugar in my giant gluten free chocolate chip cookies. That recipe has a ratio of 1:1 sugar to butter. Traditionally, cookies have a ratio of 2:1 sugar to butter. The higher sugar/butter ration helps the cookies to spread into crispy chewy cookies, instead of thicker, soft-baked cookies.
- I decreased the flour just enough so that the double chocolate chip cookie dough would spread as it baked.
- I swapped my usual yolk only recipe to work with a whole egg. This is the biggest thing I changed! Usually I make my gluten free cookies with just the egg yolk instead of the whole egg. The one problem with that is that it makes it really hard for people who have to eat egg free or vegan to adapt the recipe.
To make your double chocolate chip cookies vegan I’d suggest using a chia egg or flax egg (1 tablespoon ground chia or flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water and left to gel for five minutes). If you have a favorite egg substitute, try it and let me know how it works in the comments!
Vegan double chocolate chip cookies are coming your way!
What do I use Enjoy Life’s Baking Chocolate For?
Is it cheating to say I use Enjoy Life’s Baking Chocolate for everything? Because I do.
I love chocolate. I really love chocolate.
I’ve based much of my life around chocolate chip cookies. From earning money to buy my own bike when I was eight (by selling chocolate chip cookies), to running a gluten free bakery, writing two gluten free cookie cookbooks (both full of chocolate chip cookies), and sharing gluten free recipes regularly on Flippin’ Delicious, chocolate chip cookies have basically become a part of my identity as a human being.
(that and SPRINKLES!)
I always have at least one (if not two) kinds of Enjoy Life’s Baking Chocolate in my pantry. I use it in everything from my famous Giant Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies and gluten free s’mores cookies, to my flourless lava cake.
Why do I love Enjoy Life Food’s Baking Chocolate?
I trust Enjoy Life and their products.
Whenever I purchase something in Enjoy Life’s teal packaging I know that it will be safe for my family and our allergies. All of Enjoy Life’s products are gluten free and free of the top 8 allergens. They are manufactured in dedicated facilities and are certified gluten free.
Luckily, my immediate family only avoids gluten (all for me, I have celiac) and dairy (Miss T is dairy intolerant and my hubby is lactose intolerant).
Miss T loved these dairy free double chocolate chip cookies!
When you add in my parents and my siblings, we also avoid all peanuts and tree nuts due to the severe anaphylactic allergies of my dad and sister.
Enjoy Life has worked hard to make sure there are great allergy free options for people with much more severe allergies than ours.
I am friends with Megan from Allergy Awesomeness (if you don’t already follow her, you should). Her kids have many severe food allergies and there are very few packaged snacks and treats they can enjoy. I love Megan’s Instagram, she is always sharing pictures of her kids, showing that kids with food allergies CAN feel normal and CAN eat fun things. With back-to-school season, I’ve seen lots of teal packages on her feed.
I love that Enjoy Life helps Megan’s kids, and so many other kids like hers and mine feel just a little bit more normal.
Everyone should be able to enjoy a chocolate chip cookie.
Beyond knowing that Enjoy Life’s products are safe for our allergies, I trust Enjoy Life’s products to be quality.
Take their baking chocolate for example. I know that their Mini Chips, Dark Morsels, and everything down to their Choco Boom Bars are going to be smooth, creamy, and rich.
If you are anything like my family, your food budget can expand very quickly. When you have to spend more on allergy friendly products the worst thing is when one of those allergy friendly foods is a flop. I feel confident and purchasing any of Enjoy Life’s products and know that it is money well spent.
Where to find Enjoy Life’s Baking Chocolate?
I’ve found Enjoy Life’s Baking Chocolate, and other products at my local Walmart, Target, Kroger Store (Smith’s in New Mexico), and also natural grocery stores like Sprouts, Whole Foods, and Natural Grocers. You can look up where you can find it near you using Enjoy Life’s store locator.
Before you start baking, Enjoy Life is helping me give one reader a year supply of baking chocolate! Comment to tell me what you'd bake if you won, and enter using the widget below the recipe.
Here is my Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe!
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg (or egg substitute, see suggestions above)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (regular not dutch processed is prefered)
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Dark Morsels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cream together the vegan butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Add the egg or egg substitute and mix until combined.
- Add the baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the glutenf ree flour and cocoa powder, and mix until incorporated. Then mix in the Enjoy Life Mini Chips and Enjoy Life Dark Morsels.
- Scoop using a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop and place 2-3 inches apart
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- The cookies should spread and will lose their doughy shine, but will still be very soft.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
A reader commented that she used coconut oil instead of vegan butter, and the recipe worked great with that substitution.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 108Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 18mgSodium 117mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 0gSugar 8gProtein 1g
All nutrition info is a guestimate and will vary depending on the ingredients you use.