Gluten Free Blueberry Streusel Muffins are the perfect sweet start to your morning. The streusel crumb topping makes them really special!
I have had a love affair with blueberries for ages. When I was a teenager, every so often I’d have what I called a “blueberry mood.” I was not sad, but instead just was really craving blueberries and felt like wearing a skirt instead of a pair of jeans.
I know, totally random.
I’d make a chocolate blueberry crisp (I’ve got to get that recipe on Flippin’ Delicious soon. That is a great oversight!) and then sit on a bench outside with a good book. And eat the entire crisp by myself. It was just a feel-good, skirt-wearing, blueberry-eating mood.
That crisp I’d make, was basically just gluten-free streusel crumb topping baked on some blueberries tossed in sugar. Super simple!
(If cherries are more your style, I think you’ll like these GF Cherry Muffins. The recipe is from my friend Sandi at Fearless Dining, and they are next on my baking list.)
Well I love putting a gluten free streusel crumb topping on all sort of things, like these blueberry muffins. The streusel crumb topping is sweet, buttery and crisp. I just love the texture that it brings to blueberry muffins. It makes them special.
If you are looking for a lower-carb or paleo muffin, My friend Erin of Texanerin Baking has the perfect Paleo Blueberry Muffins for you.
I actually made these muffins and photographed them more than a year ago. A YEAR!
When I had just finished taking the pictures Miss E, my then 2-year-old, helped herself to a muffin, accidentally knocking that pretty white plate onto the flour where it broke into a dozen pieces.
It might have partly been the pregnancy hormones, because I was also 7 or so months along with Baby T.
Miss E was so sad that I was so upset. She said “I’ll buy you a new plate mommy!” and helped clean it up.
I’m embarrassed to say that I stayed grumpy and mad at her for about an hour. It was not a good parenting moment for me. I think it was one of the first times that I actually got mad at my little girl.
Anyways… these muffins come to you after a great delay and plate smashing adventure. They sure are tasty, I’ve made them several times in the past year. Winning gluten free blueberry streusel muffin recipe right here!
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend (I used my gluten free cake flour)
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup milk of your choice
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (I used my gluten free cake flour)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter of your choice (vegan butters will work too)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- First make the streusel topping. Mix together the flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a "well" in the dry mixture and pour the oil, milk, egg, and vanilla into it. Whisk the wet ingredients together, and then mix it all together.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups lined with paper liners about ½ full of the batter. Top with the streusel crumb topping.
- Bake for 22-28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean, with maybe a few little crumbs.