This gluten free dark cherry lemon pie is sweet, tart, and has just a hint of lemon zest making it taste bright and fresh.
I first made this gluten free dark cherry lemon pie for Independence day last year. It instantly was my mom’s favorite! She has since requested it for every pie-appropriate holiday. It was one of the few pies that I made for thanksgiving. Thie gluten free dark cherry lemon pie and my favorite
She has since requested it for every pie-appropriate holiday. It was one of the few pies that I made for thanksgiving. I think I only baked this gluten free dark cherry lemon pie and my favorite gluten free peanut butter pie (made with sunbutter.) Then I bought a few pies and called it good.
Why dark sweet cherries? Because those are the ones that are I can find year round in my freezer section year round.
Since the cherries are sweeter than your average pie cherries you don’t need as much sugar in the pie filling. All I added to the frozen dark sweet cherries was a little sugar, some cornstarch to thicken it up, and the zest and juice of one lemon.
The filling for this gluten free dark cherry lemon pie is actually really easy to make and I love the contrast of the bright citrus lemon against the dark sweet cherries.
I think a slice is just perfect al a mode, but use whipped cream or just eat it plain. However you fancy.
I just adore my All Butter Gluten Free Pie Crust and it is just perfect for this pie. If you have to eat dairy-free I LOVE Allergy Free Alaska’s Best Gluten Free Vegan Flaky Pie Crust. Both pie crusts are easy to work with and result in flaky, delicious pie crusts just like your favorite gluten-filled pie crust from days of yore.
You can crimp or decorate the top and edges of your pie however you like. I really wanted to give a traditional lattice top a try. Just google “lattice pie crust tutorial” and you’ll find a bunch of helpful youtube videos. To decorate the edge I just braided some strips of pie crust and then gently pressed them on the edge of the pie. My favorite way to edge a pie is with little circles cut from pie dough.
In case you didn’t figure out, I just have not figured out how to crimp a pie crusts and have it not look terrible. So I just go the alternative route. Then I get tons of compliments on the design and no one knows I resorted to cut outs (or braids) because I tried for 1/2 an hour to crimp the crust and couldn’t get it to turn out. HAHA!
You can also just layer some pie crust cut-outs over the top of the pie instead of the lattice. Any cookie cutter will work! If you had a cherry cookie cutter, of course that would be perfect and just adorable.
I love whenever I have leftover pie… I eat it for breakfast.
If you want an easier stone-fruit recipe, try my friend Erin’s Gluten Free Peach Crisp. There is no pie crust to mess with!
This gluten free dark cherry pie is sweet, tart, and has just a hint of lemon zest making it taste bright and fresh.
- 3 (12 oz) frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- double recipe Gluten Free All Butter Pie Crust
- Mix the frozen cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and all the zest and juice from a lemon together in a heavy bottomed pan (I used my enameled dutch oven.)
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn, until the pie filling is thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Roll out half of the pie crust dough and line a 9 inch deep dish pie pan. Fill the pie pan with the cherry lemon pie filling.
- Roll out the second half of the pie dough and create a top crust (I attempted a lattice, but you could also cut shapes with a cookie cutter and overlap them.
- Finish the edge of the pie as desired. (I trimmed my edges, and then created braids out of leftover pie crust and used them to decorate the edges.)
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
To make this pie dairy free use any combo of palm shortening, vegan butter (like earth balance) or lard instead of the butter in the crust.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 81mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Protein: 1g
Sweet As Pie
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten Free Dark Cherry Lemon Pie from Flippin’ Delicious
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n’ Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement