These Gluten-Free Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins taste just like Nutella, and are grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free!
Like many people, I am a huge fan of Nutella. I think that the combo of chocolate and hazelnut is a match made in heaven! These gluten-free chocolate hazelnut muffins are no exception.
I started working at Dion’s the end of last year. I’ve really been enjoying my day-job and that it has allowed me to let Flippin’ Delicious become a hobby again. It is so much more fun to develop recipes, photograph cookies, and eat them now that the pressure of it being my “job” has been removed.
I was just burnt out, churning out so many recipes. Now I get to bake “for fun” and then when the results are scrumptious I can’t help but share the recipe with you.
When it was my boss’s birthday, I volunteered to make cupcakes to share with our team. She was training for a marathon at the time so I didn’t want to bring cupcakes that would throw her off track. I LOVE my friend Chrystal’s (Gluten-Free Palate) Gluten Free Double Chocolate Muffins. They are grain-free, dairy-free, and except for the chocolate chips, they are refined sugar-free. I adapted Chrystal’s recipe to make these moist Nutella-inspired grain free chocolate hazelnut muffins.
To turn them into “healthy” Nutella cupcakes I topped some of them with a swirl of Nutella, and I frosted the rest of them with a mixture of whipped cream cheese, Nutella, cocoa powder, and honey. And of course, some sprinkles.
The cupcakes were a huge hit! I made a double batch, frosted half to be “cupcakes” and put the other half in the freezer. Over the next few weeks, I would pull a few grain-free chocolate hazelnut muffins and eat them for breakfast at my desk. (I rarely am put together enough to eat breakfast before I get to work, and then I am HANGRY.)
Naturally, as an ambassador for Rodelle, I used their Gourmet Baking Cocoa and Gourmet Vanilla Extract in this recipe. As always, all opinions are entirely my own. I am an ambassador for Rodelle because I LOVE their products and always have them stocked in my kitchen.
Whether you made these grain-free muffins for a guilt-free treat, or indulgent breakfast they will disappear quickly. Top them with a swirl of Nutella if you feel like being just a little bit naughty.
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup Rodelle Dutch Processed Baking Cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup gluten-free, dairy-free dark mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Foods
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, and eggs.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda and mix until well combined.
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, hazelnuts, vanilla extract into the batter.
- Fill each muffin liner approx ¾ full, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes before eating, or cool completely if you intend to frost them into cupcakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 313Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 47mgSodium 73mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 5gSugar 13gProtein 8g
All nutrition info is a guestimate and will vary depending on the ingredients you use.