- .75 oz (about 3 Tbs) cocoa powder
- 9.5 oz ( 1¼ c minus 1 Tbs) white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 8.25 oz (1½ c) Gluten-Free Flour Blend (I have only tested with my GF Cookie/cake blendand have gotten great results)
- ½ c milk *see note
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs**see note
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ½ - 1 tsp red food coloring***see notes
- 1 recipe Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- For the Cupcakes+
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a large liquid measuring cup mix together all the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fill the muffin pan cups about ¾ way full (about 1 Tbs of batter for mini muffins) and bake until the cupcake springs back when you touch it, about 18-22 minutes. (30-35 minutes for a layer cake.)
- Cool before frosting with Easy Cream Cheese Frosting.
*I have used a flax egg substitute with almost the exact same results. For each egg mix 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken before adding to the batter.
For this recipe you need the equivalent of 2 eggs. I used 2 TBS of flax seed with 6 TBS of warm water.
*** I have no issues using food coloring to make red velvet. If you wanting to avoid artificial food coloring I would suggest using a natural food coloring, like THIS ONE. You could also try my friend GF Jules Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes dyed with beets.
If you like this recipe try these other recipes Perfect for Valentine’s Day…