Tender gluten-free pumpkin donuts with maple glaze make the perfect allergy-friendly fall treat!
I don’t know about you, but to me, pumpkin says “fall.”
I’ve shared lots of gluten-free pumpkin baked goods over the years because it is a flavor that I just love! One of my favorite recipes is gluten-free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins; I bake them all year long!
I made these fall inspired donuts a couple years ago and shared the full recipe on Instagram. How on earth did it take me this long to get the recipe up?!?! Each year a new pumpkin recipe has bumped these donuts off of my posting list, and then I forget. Last year, it was a moist gluten-free pumpkin cake and gluten-free pumpkin spice latte cupcakes.
It is high time these classic pumpkin donuts get a moment to shine.
The gluten-free pumpkin donut recipe is the same as my gluten-free pumpkin spice latte donuts, the only difference is the frosting. Normally, I make a single batch of donuts and a half batch of each frosting. Half of the gluten-free pumpkin donuts get coffee glaze for me, and the other half get maple glaze so my kids don’t start bouncing off of walls.
Of course, I eat a few of the maple-glazed pumpkins donuts too.
One secret to the maple glaze is to use REAL maple syrup. Don’t skimp and use the fake stuff, the flavor just isn’t the same.
I also make my glaze really thick, then I nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it. This allows me to dip each donut into the glaze, letting it set up smooth and shiny. The glaze sets up very quickly, so don’t microwave the glaze until you are ready to dip. If you want to add some sprinkles (my girls always do) be sure to add them quickly or they won’t stick.
For me, nothing beats a gluten-free pumpkin donut (or two) with a hot pumpkin latte or a glass of your favorite milk.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (I used my GF cake flour blend)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons your favorite dairy-free milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of vinegar (let sit 5 mins)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons real maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425F, Spray your doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl whisk or sift together all of the dry ingredients. Add the milk, egg, pumpkin, and oil and mix until combined. Fill each doughnut cup about ⅔ full. (use a zipper bag with the corner cut off to pipe the batter into the donut pan).
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the doughnuts spring back when touched.
- Let cool for 4-5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Mix the powdered sugar and maple syrup together. It will be very thick.
- Heat in the microwave for approx 30 seconds. Immediately dip each doughnut in the glaze and then let cool.