Sweet, spicy gluten-free gingerbread chocolate chip cookies. All the holiday flavors of your favorite gingerbread men, but in an easy to make drop cookie form. Chocolate makes everything better, right? And Chocolate dipped gingerbread are no exception. These chewy cookies have all the same flavors, but tossing in chocolate chips is so much easier. Perfect for baking when the holidays get busy!
It is no secret that I love cookies. I mean, I wrote a cookbook all about gluten-free cookies, I ran a baking company making gluten-free cookies, and I have several recipes here on Flippin’ Delicious (like my famous gluten-free Lofthouse copycat soft frosted sugar cookies.)So of course I was super stoked to be able to participate in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap this year.
The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap is an event where hundreds of food bloggers raise money for kids cancer, mail a dozen Christmas cookies to 3 bloggers (mine went to Sassy Southern Yankee, La Casa De Sweets, and Cafe Johnsonia), and receive a dozen cookies from 3 different bloggers (The Snixy Kitchen, Food by Mars, and Cucina Kristina). I had so much fun participating because not only did I get to eat a bunch of cookies, I also got to make some great gluten-free blogging friends.
I had quite the adventure making these cookies. Originally I was going to mail out those peppermint snowball cookies that I posted last week. When they came out of the oven I was worried that they would be too fragile to make it across the country in one piece and I didn’t want bloggers to receive packages of crumbs (even if those crumbs would be so sweet and buttery.) So last minute I decided to bake these cookies. After I had sent these off in the mail I realized that the snowball cookies were not nearly as fragile after hanging out for a day. Which meant that I got to eat them ALL! ( I didn’t actually eat them all, but I did eat way too many.)
Luckily this recipe makes a big enough batch of cookies that even after I sent them out to my Cookie Swap matches there were still plenty for me to eat at home. And share with my mom. Chocolate dipped gingerbread is her favorite Christmas cookie and these cookies have all of the same flavors, but with just a fraction of the work. I hope that these become a holiday favorite for your family, they definitely are for mine!
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) butter, softened (use vegan butter spread to make dairy free)
- 4 oz (1/2 cup packed) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup molasses
- 19.25 oz (approx 3½ cups) my gluten-free flour blend
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9.75 oz (1 /2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy free chocolate chips to make dairy free)
- Preheat the oven o 350F and line your baking sheets with silicone baking mats, or parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the egg and molasses and cream until smooth.
- Add the spices, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and my gluten-free flour blend. Mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Scoop onto prepared baking sheets using a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until they lose their doughy shine. They will still be soft if you touch them, but will set up more as they cool.
Did you see pictures of the cookies that I received on Instagram? Here are the recipes:
Linked up at Gluten-Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday,