Grandma’s {Best} Gluten Free Waffles

This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Flippin' Delicious!

These are my Grandma’s Best Gluten free Waffles. This recipe is straight from my grandma, who has celiac disease. Dairy-free waffle option too!

Grandma's gluten-free waffles really are the best. Crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside. You wouldn't believe they are gluten-free. They have great texture and quite a nice bite to them. This is my favorite recipe! www.flippindelicious.com

You know what I hate? When I type up a great blog post on my tablet, and then the post didn’t save… yeah. Then I have to start all over again, and I know that it won’t be nearly as good this time, or maybe it’ll be better? I’d have you judge but you, like me, can’t see my original post so I suppose it’ll always be a mystery. So…

My grandma makes the very best waffles. I know EVERYONE says that, but I’m not kidding, they really are the best. My grandmas is a celiac so naturally her waffles are gluten-free. Which is awesome!

I tried dozens of times to make waffles that were as good as my gluten-filled days. Every time it wasn’t quite right. They’d be way to dry and crumble all over the place, OR they would be gummy. I don’t know which is worse.
I had all but given up, and then a few summers ago while I was visiting my grandma she made these for breakfast….

and they were perfect.
Crispy on the outside, a bit fluffy on the inside, flexible and not crumbly or dry at all. They have great texture and quite a nice bite.

If you are looking for a paleo waffle recipe, I think you’ll fall in love with this recipe for Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles from my friend Natalie over at Perry’s Plate.
So what are you having for breakfast tomorrow? I’m making WAFFLES!

Have you tried keto? If you need a low carb recipe try these keto paleo almond flour waffles recipe.

Grandma's {Best} Gluten Free Waffles

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 8-10 waffles (1/3-1/2 cup batter per waffle)
Ingredients
  • 2½ c. gluten-free flour blend
  • 1 Tbs. baking powder
  • 3 Tbs. sugar
  • ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 Tbs. oil
  • 1½-2 c. milk (dairy or non-dairy)
Instructions
  1. Mix together the dry ingredients.
  2. Make a "well" in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the remaining ingredients to the well.
  3. Mix together until it is all combined.
  4. Cook according to your waffle iron instructions.
Notes
My waffles took about 4 minutes to cook, and I used ⅓-1/2 cup of batter per waffle, but your waffle iron may be different. A good guideline is to wait until the waffle stops steaming. I've found that gluten-free waffles take a little longer to cook than traditional waffles.

Comments

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Yes Pam, I’ve found that these waffles freeze very well. I normally throw all my leftover waffles in a ziploc bag once they cool and toss them in the freezer. When I want to eat them I just pop them in the toaster.

1. Clarissa says

Is it 1 Tablespoon of Baking powder or 1 teaspoon? I’m making these right now and the first one is rising like crazy! It’s super puffy! Is it supposed to do that?

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Clarissa,
      1 Tbs is what I use. It will puff up a lot, but then you get a light and soft waffle without having to go to the trouble of whipping egg whites and carefully folding them into the batter #nobodygottimefordat
      If it over-fills your waffle maker you may just need to use less batter for each waffle. There is a sweet spot that you have to find as to how much batter you should use for each waffle. Because all models are different your waffle maker may need less batter than mine.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Yes, the batter should be thick, but still pourable. If you feel it is too thick for your waffle iron just add a little more milk, maybe 1/4 cup to get the consistency that you want. Getting the right consistency for pancake and waffle batter can be tricky because the longer the batter it sits the more it will thicken as the flours absorb the milk.

2. Brittanne says

These were delicious! Not quite the texture I was after (I have made a GF crispy, less dense version before… but I couldn’t find the recipe this morning). My husband (known for hating anything GF) ate them and really liked them.

I halved the recipe, added a splash of vanilla, and measured out the flour beginning with your rice flour blend (I had a 1/2 C or so left over):
    1/2 C white rice flour
    1/2 C brown rice flour
    1/2 C tapioca starch
    1/2 C potato starch (not flour)

3. Sara says

Wow, these baked up so thick they busted the latch off of my waffle iron! My daughter says it was with it though! Very good!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

They do expand as they bake, that is the baking powder at work! Try using less batter for each waffle. I’ve found that they bust out of my waffle iron when I put too much batter in. It is a tricky balance. Not enough batter and you get holes, but too much batter and you bust off the waffle iron’s latch, like what happened to you.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Kristina, that actually is the right flour blend. I’ve been going back and trying to update and revamp some older pages and when I updated my flour page I didn’t make it clear that it is the same flour blend. I’ll change that! I’ll also check the links. Thank you for letting me know. 🙂

4. Brittanne says

These are so good! I wouldn’t hesitate to pass these off as regular waffles. I added a splash of vanilla but otherwise followed recipe.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I am so happy that you enjoyed them Brittanne! They are my favorite. The splash of vanilla sounds like an excellent addition.

5. Sheree says

I tried this waffle recipe this morning. Light, airy, delicious!!! It is going in my fav GF recipe file. Thanks so much. You rock!

6. Rob says

Easter morning 2018. My wife says, I would like
    Waffles. My daughter is celiac and my granddaughter won’t eat gluten free meals. However, this recipe is a homerun, everyone loves it. Thank you and Happy Easter