Gluten free edible cookie dough, perfect for eating by the spoon, topping brownies, or putting in ice cream.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE cookie dough. Like, I think I might actually prefer eating cookie dough to eating actual baked cookies.
I have been dying to bake cookies in a skillet, like this Low Carb Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie from All Day I Dream About Food. YUM! It even has a paleo option.
Now I am not one to not lick the bowl after making a batch of cookies. Heck! I normally leave a little extra in the bottom with that in mind. I haven’t died of salmonella yet!
All the same… if I am planning on just eating the dough, I don’t want to make it with egg.
I took my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe from The Essential Gluten-Free Cookie Guide and made just a few changes to it to make it and egg-less gluten free edible cookie dough recipe. Basically I just took the egg out and added in a little bit of milk or water.
I opted to use mini chocolate chips instead of the regular ones because I used my cookie dough in some gluten free cookie dough brownie ice cream and didn’t want the huge chunks of frozen chocolate to chip someones teeth. It could happen…
Be sure that the butter is cooled before you mix in the other ingredients. If the batter is even slightly warm those mini chocolate chips will melt and streak in the cookie dough. Still delicious, just not as pretty.
If you plan to use your gluten free edible cookie dough in ice cream like I did, just roll it into small balls. I’d actually roll them even smaller than the ones that I made. It helps if you have someone with little fingers to help with the rolling. Yes, their little balls of cookie dough won’t be as round and smooth, but it is so much fun!
Gluten free cookie dough can be a challenge because you eat it raw. Any funky flour after-tastes don’t get a chance to bake out. So no bean flours here! I use my gluten-free rice flour (cookie/cake) blend. the gluten-free edible cookie dough tastes great uncooked! Because of its higher starch content it helps the dough to be nice and smooth, not gritty or sandy.
It is really simple to make this gluten free edible cookie dough recipe. You don’t need a mixer, just a bowl and a spatula and you are set!
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) butter, melted and cooled (use Vegan Buttery spread like Earth Balance to make it dairy free and vegan)
- 2.75 oz (1/4 cup plus 1½ Tablespoons) brown sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk or water (or more if you want softer, spreadable cookie dough) (use dairy-free milk to make it dairy-free and vegan)
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4.5 oz (approx ¾ cup) gluten-free flour blend (no xanthan gum! I recommend my cookie/cake blend)
- 3 oz (approx ⅓ cup) mini chocolate chips (use dairy free like Enjoy Life Mini Chips to make it dairy free and vegan)
- Mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Add a Tablespoon of milk (or water), vanilla extract, and stir until combined.
- Add the gluten-free flour and stir until combined. If it is too dry for your purposes add a little more milk and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips and then dig in!
Linked up at Tasty Tuesday
Linked up at Momma Told Me
Linked up at Health, Happy, Green & Natural Party