Gluten free edible cookie dough, perfect for eating by the spoon, topping brownies, or putting in ice cream.
Edible Gluten Free Cookie Dough Recipe
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE cookie dough. Like, I think I might actually prefer eating cookie dough to eating actual baked cookies.
I have been dying to bake cookies in a skillet, like this Low Carb Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie from All Day I Dream About Food. YUM! It even has a paleo option.
Now I am not one to not lick the bowl after making a batch of cookies. Heck! I normally leave a little extra in the bottom with that in mind. I haven’t died of salmonella yet!
All the same… if I am planning on just eating the dough, I don’t want to make it with egg.
I took my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe from The Essential Gluten-Free Cookie Guide and made just a few changes to it to make it and egg-less gluten free edible cookie dough recipe.
Basically I just took the egg out and added in a little bit of milk or water.
I opted to use mini chocolate chips instead of the regular ones because I used my cookie dough in some gluten free cookie dough brownie ice cream and didn’t want the huge chunks of frozen chocolate to chip someones teeth. It could happen…
Be sure that the butter is cooled before you mix in the other ingredients.
If the batter is even slightly warm those mini chocolate chips will melt and streak in the cookie dough.
Still delicious, just not as pretty.
If you plan to use your gluten free edible cookie dough in ice cream like I did, just roll it into small balls.
I’d actually roll them even smaller than the ones that I made. It helps if you have someone with little fingers to help with the rolling.
Yes, their little balls of cookie dough won’t be as round and smooth, but it is so much fun!
how do you make cookie dough that you can eat?
Making edible gluten free cookie dough can be a challenge because you eat it raw.
Any funky flour after-tastes don’t get a chance to bake out. So no bean flours here!
I use my gluten-free rice flour (cookie/cake) blend. the gluten-free edible cookie dough tastes great uncooked! Because of its higher starch content it helps the dough to be nice and smooth, not gritty or sandy.
For an even better taste, and to kill any bacteria in your flour, you can lightly toast it before making your edible gluten free cookie dough.
Spread your flour on a baking sheet and bake it in a preheated 350°f oven for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes so it doesn’t burn.
It is really simple to make this gluten free edible cookie dough recipe. You don’t need a mixer, just a bowl and a spatula and you are set!
How do you use edible gluten free cookie dough?
- Add a scoop to a bowl of ice cream to make a gluten free cookie dough sundae. (What I did instead of birthday cake one year. So good!)
- Make copy cat gluten free half baked ice cream with brownie chunks and cookie dough.
- Add to your favorite ice cream, or make no churn gluten free cookie dough ice cream.
- Spread on top of brownies. (Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies)
- Use instead of a baked cookie to make gluten free cookie dough ice cream sandwiches.
- Dip in chocolate to make cookie dough truffles. (Even better if you add brownie too. Gluten Free Cookie Dough Brownie Truffles)
- Use gluten free cookie dough as the filling in between 2 layers of cake.
- Grab a spoon and dig in! Pretend you are at a trendy cookie dough cafe in NYC for bonus points.
Gluten free edible cookie dough, perfect for eating by the spoon, topping brownies, or putting in ice cream. Dairy-free and vegan option.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled (use Vegan Buttery spread like Earth Balance to make it dairy free and vegan)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (2.75 oz )
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk or water (or more if you want softer, spreadable cookie dough) (use dairy-free milk to make it dairy-free and vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (no xanthan gum!) 4.5 oz by weight
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (my favorite are dairy free Enjoy Life Mini Chips) 3 oz by weight
- Mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Add a Tablespoon of milk (or water), vanilla extract, and stir until combined.
- Add the gluten-free flour and stir until combined. If it is too dry for your purposes add a little more milk and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips and then dig in!
For better flavor, and to kill off any bacteria in your flour, toast it before using. Preheat your oven to 350°f and spread your flour on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool before using.
- Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Mini Chips, 10 Ounce Bag
- Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Mini Chips, 10 Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)
- Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free White Rice Flour, 24-ounce (Pack of 4)
- Bob's Red Mill Finely Ground Tapioca Flour, 20-ounce (Pack of 4)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 91mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Protein: 3g