Gluten Free Funfetti Cookies | Gluten free drop sugar cookies with sprinkles, white chocolate chips and pudding mix have crisp edges and gooey chewy centers.
I've always been a fan of sprinkles! They are so bright and colorful!
I found some confetti baking chips at my Walmart. Not only are they bright and colorful, they also taste like cake batter.
I was inspired! Adapting the gluten free cake batter cookie recipe in my first cookbook, I improved it to make a gluten free white chocolate chip funfetti cookie recipe that is even better!
I used the confetti baking chips, and white chocolate chips, as well as the round confetti sprinkles and rainbow jimmies. If you prefer, you can use semisweet chocolate chips and make gluten free funfetti chocolate chip cookies!
The edges of the GF funfetti sugar cookies get light and crispy, while the center stays gooey.
Overall, they are delightfully chewy, sweet, and colorful gluten free funfetti cookies!
How to make gluten free funfetti cookies from scratch?
These gluten free funfetti sugar cookies are made with the creaming method. It only takes about 15 minutes to mix up the gluten free funfetti cookie dough and they don't need any chilling before baking!
You can use a stand mixer, or a handheld mixer and bowl. You can also mix your funfetti cookie dough by hand, but you'll need a lot of elbow grease.
To make gluten free funfetti cookie dough:
- First cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. I used some vanilla sugar from my pantry. If you even have a leftover vanilla bean (after you scrape out the seeds) add is to a jar of white sugar. It absorbs the vanilla and becomes flavorful and fragrant. You can use regular white sugar, but I used the vanilla sugar since I had it on hand. It really made my gluten free funfetti cookies taste like cake batter!
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the xanthan gum (helps the cookies stay together since there isn't any gluten), baking powder (which gives the cookies lift), baking soda (which helps the cookies spread) and pudding mix (my secret ingredient, it makes the cookies taste amazing and helps with their texture) and then mix. Adding these ingredients before the gluten free flour helps them to get evenly distributed.
- Add the gluten free flour and mix until combined. Be sure to measure your gluten free flour carefully so that they aren't dry. Whisk your gluten free flour, spoon it into your measuring cup (don't scoop it with the cup), and then level it off.
- Last, stir in the sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
- No waiting for gluten free cookie dough to chill, scoop the cookie dough directly onto a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven.
Which gluten free flour is best for cookies?
Making funfetti cookies gluten free is easy if you have a good gluten free flour. I use my gluten free flour blend, but most high-quality gluten free flour blends will work well.
If you use a different gluten free flour, you may need less. Did you know that many gluten free flours absorb liquid differently? Reserve at least ½ a cup of gluten free flour. If your gluten free funfetti cookie dough is too soft, add half of it. If it is still too soft, add the rest of the gluten free flour.
Can I make gluten free funfetti cookies dairy free?
Yes you can make dairy free gluten free funfetti cookies with just a few simple substitutions.
To make gluten free dairy free funfetti cookies use a vegan butter like Earth Balance or Melt, or a non-hydrogenated palm shortening instead of the softened butter.
There are several different dairy free white chocolate chips on the market, but you can also substitute some vegan chocolate chips. (Nestle just announced some white chocolate chips, they should be in stores soon! )My favorite are Enjoy Life's Mini Chips and Dark Morsels.
Can I make gluten free funfetti cookies vegan?
Yes you can make vegan gluten free funfetti cookies.
In addition to the dairy swaps listed above, use an egg replacer for the eggs in the recipe.
My go-to is Bob's Red Mill's egg replacer, but you may be able to use aquafaba, Ener-G, or a flax egg to make gluten free vegan funfetti cookies.
Are sprinkles gluten free?
Most sprinkles are gluten free.
Always check the label very carefully to make sure there isn't anything with gluten in it.
While some sprinkles sneak gluten or wheat in them, most are safe for people with celiac.
- ½ cup butter, softened (or vegan/dairy-butter)
- ¼ cup palm shortening
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs (or egg replacer)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if you use a different flour that already has it)
- 1 tablespoon instant pudding mix
- 3 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup white chocolate chips ( or vegan white chocolate chips or vegan semisweet chocolate chips)
- ¼ cup gluten free sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Add the egg and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and gluten-free flour and mix until combined.
- Add in the white chocolate chips and sprinkles, and mix until evenly distributed.
- Scoop the dough using a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
If you like your sugar cookies thinner with golden crispy edges and a chewy center, decrease the flour to 2 ½ or 2 ¾ cups.
I used Earth Balance or melt as my vegan butter in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Half Sheet 13 x 18 Inch
Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract, 8-Ounce
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Xanthan Gum, 8-ounce
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free White Rice Flour, 24-ounce (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour, 24-ounce (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Finely Ground Tapioca Flour, 20-ounce (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch, 24-ounce (Pack of 4)
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 24mgSodium 111mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 0gSugar 13gProtein 2g