Gluten Free Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies

This page may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Flippin' Delicious!

These Lofthouse copycat gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies are soft and cakey. They are the perfect gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies cutout recipe!

These Lofthouse copycat gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies are soft and cakey. They are the perfect gluten free soft frosted sugar cookie cutout recipe!

photos updated 10/14/15

For a year I have been trying to re-create those soft, cakey, sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles that come in a clear plastic clamshell at the grocery store. I remember eating one at some sort of church activity, back in my gluten-eating days. Yum! Not overly sweet, just right. I tried to create those soft sugar cookies using normal wheat flour and still wasn’t able to get it right, but now I have, and Gluten Free too!

I bake some gluten-free soft frosted sugar cookies over Christmas and put a little peppermint extract in the frosting and sprinkled the gluten free soft frosted cookies with crushed candy canes. They also make great Valentine’s day gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies.

My husband brought some to work with him yesterday, his coworkers confirmed that they do not taste gluten free at all.

The secret to soft and cakey gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies is roll it out pretty thick. Try to avoid handling it too much, and do NOT over bake. It is much better to under bake your gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies. It will not look done when you take it out of the oven, but that is what carryover cooking is for. They are a pretty close Lofthouse sugar cookie copycat once frosted, but are perfect once you let them sit in an airtight container overnight. The extra moisture from the frosting softens any crunchy edges and you have the perfect gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies.

original photo 2/13

To make these dairy-free too use your favorite dairy-free butter substitute or shortening instead of butter in the cookies.

10/15 note:

I’ve baked these gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies hundreds of times, it is one of my most popular recipes and I’m always asked to bake them. It has been included in my cookbook, The Essential Gluten-Free Cookie Guide, and I’ve even baked them on TV (when I was 8 months pregnant too.)

I’ve updated my gluten free soft frosted sugar cookie recipe and it is an email exclusive. I have removed the older version of the recipe for now because I want you to have the very best results when you bake my gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies.

Gluten Free Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

These Lofthouse copycat gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies are soft and cakey. BONUS vegan and dairy free sugar cookie recipe. They are the perfect gluten free soft frosted sugar cookie cutout recipe!
Author:
Serves: 2-3 dozen
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. For the full recipe enter your email below and you'll get the recipe in your inbox. Tested vegan and dairy free adaptions are included in the exclusive version of the recipe.
Notes
This recipe is exclusive for all of my email newsletter subscribers. Don't worry, it is free to subscribe and I'll send you yummy gluten free (and dairy free) recipes straight to your inbox. I wanted to add the ingredients back into the post so that you can see if you have everything you need in your pantry at a glance here and in Pinterest.

To get the full recipe just sign up for my weekly newsletter!

My original gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies recipe is an exclusive for those who have signed up for my newsletter. If you want the recipe, enter your email above and you’ll get a link to the recipe in just a few minutes.

The email with the recipe will send AUTOMATICALLY once you submit your email address. If you don’t see the email, double check your spam, all mail, or equivalent. The email sometimes gets kicked there.

If you still can’t find it, shoot me an email and I’ll resend it at as soon as I am able to.

Only once has someone emailed me not being able to find it, and had it not sent (and in that case, they had completed signing up for the email newsletter.) I’m more than happy to resend the email to you but I have to do it when I am on my computer, so I usually am not able to resend it instantly. Because of the urgency of holiday baking (it is a very urgent thing at my house at least) double check your spam to make sure that you haven’t missed it. I am more than happy to resend it, and will normally be able to resend it within 24 hours, but I don’t want you to have to wait to start baking if you were all prepped and ready to go!
Happy Baking!

Comments

• Cassie says

Hi,
        My daughter is gluten and dairy free and she so wants sugar cookies to decorate. Can you tell me about the rice flour blend. I know it says 3 cups but how much of each of the blend do I use? Thank you so much. I am new at all of this.
        Thank you.
        Please email me. noah00ark@aol.com

1. says

We just took the dough out of the fridge and it is ROCK HARD, so there’s no way we can roll it to 1/4″. The dough tastes delicious, but it’s crumbly and I’m kinda of afraid it’s not going to work…

• says

OK – these cookies taste absolutely AMAZING! After letting the dough relax a bit out of the fridge and reworking it with my hands, it rolled extremely well. I didn’t even need the plastic wrap. I got 26 cookies out of the batch of dough with a mix of large butterfly, cat, and bunny shapes and slightly smaller circle, heart, and flower shapes. I was skeptical in the middle of the process, but so happy with the results. Thank you!!

• says

I’m so glad you saw it through and it worked out! Especially if you use all butter the dough will be very, VERY firm when it first comes out, I will go back and note that in the recipe. How many cookies you get entirely depends on the size of the cookie cutters you use. I normally use rounds (or occasionally hearts). The number of cookies I get each time varies depending on which shape I use.
      Thank you so much for your feedback! It really helps me so that I can make my content most useful to you. I’m very happy that you enjoyed them. Thanks for visiting my blog!

2. says

These cookies remind me of the “pink cookies” aka sugar cookies with pink frosting that I grew up loving. Thank you so much for sharing. They are going to be a hit for Valentine’s in our house.

3. says

Oops, hit enter before saying that I already made them. That’s how I know they’ll be a hit. That is, if I don’t eat then all myself 🙂

4. says

I don’t usually write to people that I don’t know, but something drew me to these cookies, and they are fantastic. The perfect way to celebrate this weekend that is a combination of Valentine’s Day, wedding anniversary and birthday. The dough is easy to make and easy to work with… no mess, no fuss. Perfect results! I’ll be coming back to this recipe as well as to this blog… thanks so much, Brianna!

• says

I’m so very happy that you enjoyed them! Happy Anniversary, and Birthday! I know that this is one of my favorite recipes to celebrate with. Thanks so much for commenting and for reading my little blog!

• says

They don’t! I’m so glad that you are enjoying them. Just wait for my cookbook to come out, that recipe is even better. Way easier to work with. 🙂

5. says

New GF family here. Just made my first dessert tonight. Just found these and this is in my top 5 favorite cookies. Question though, instead of buying the rice flour and the extras that go with it could I just use the GF Bisquick?

• says

I have not tested it with GF Bisquick (and have actually never used it.) If I remember correctly the GF Bisquick is made of a rice flour base. I would assume you can use it, you’d just probably have to omit the baking powder if the Bisquick already has it, and maybe the salt too. If you try it let me know how it turns out. Good luck, and welcome to Flippin’ Delicious and gluten-free baking!

6. says

We made these today for Easter fun and they turned out dry. I followed the recipe exactly, did I do something wrong? They did hold their shape and looked good. The only thing is we are semi high elevation here in Utah. Would that make a difference? I have had mostly successes in this elevation. The kids didn’t seem to mind, they really liked them!

• says

I am actually at high elevation (I think about 5k) so that probably wouldn’t be it. It is probably how you measured the flour, it is so hard to measure flour accurately and just a little extra flour can make the dough dry and harder to work with. An updated version of this recipe is in my cookbook (coming out soon!) where I measured the flour by weight, which eliminates the issues that differences in measuring creates. You probably just scooped your flours differently than I did, so next time just use less than you did this time.

7. Joy says

I would love to make these but the link to your rice flour blend is not working. I clicked on the link in the recipe as well as the one in the comments. Can you direct me to your recipe for the flour blend? Thank you

Hi Joy,
      I apologize that the link was broken. I just moved my blog to wordpress and there have been just a few links like this that have been broken, so thank you for alerting me to it. My rice flour blend is HERE. I’ve also updated the link in the recipe. Happy Baking!

8. says

This is the easiest cookie recipe. I don’t have much luck with sugar cookie recipes with plain ol’ wheat flour but these turned out great. Best of all my kids don’t know the difference and they loved them! Thank you! I’m hooked!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

It looks like you have signed up Lyn. Just be sure to confirm your subscription so that you receive the emails. You should have received an email from me that has a link in it. Just click the link and it should confirm your subscription.

9. Krista says

I made these with King Arthur GF flour and they were delicious! So soft and fluffy! Sadly, I tried to make them using regular flour for my family, and the cookies were hard and flat.

Note: the GF dough was a little too sticky to roll out without wasting a lot of flour, so I just rolled them into little balls and flattened them out with my fingers.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I’m so happy you tried them Krista. It is interesting to know that the recipe didn’t turn out when using normal flour.
      I actually never roll the dough out with flour. I roll the dough out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and I also make sure it is thoroughly chilled so that it isn’t sticky. Adding the extra flour when rolling can sometimes make the cookies tough. I also use the drop cookie method, flattening the cookies with a glass dipped in sugar. There are a lot of tricks and tips in my cookbook for these cookies. They are my all time favorite!

10. Jodi Slagel says

I am making these for my son’s Valentine Party at school. Can these be made a few days ahead without drying out, or should I bake them, freeze them, and then frost them the night before?

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I actually think they are better after a day or 2 in an airtight container. As they sit the frosting softens the cookie and then they taste exactly like the Lofthouse Sugar Cookies. I’d refrigerate the frosted cookies because of the butter in the frosting if you are going to make them more than a day ahead of time. They also freeze great frosted! Just thaw before eating. Just like fresh baked!

• Vicky says

Instead of rice flour and xantham gum can i just use the Pillsburry Rice Flour which includes Xantham and its gluten free? Thank you

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

If you try it let us know. I’m not familiar with that blend, and have not tested it. It very well might work, but I can’t tell you for sure.
          My flour blend is different from most other gluten-free flour blends as it has a higher starch content. Especially for my sugar cookies I recommend using it because it helps to give them their soft cakey texture.

11. Josie says

I was skeptical of making these because I’ve had such bad luck with gluten free recipes that people rave about…BUT these are delicious! They are a bit dense and heavy, but still taste like sugar cookies. Thank you for making the Valentine dreams of my recently diagnosed celiac son’s dreams come true! I will be taking these to his class today and I think he will love them.

12. Ashleigh says

Hello! We have a Sugar and Spice premade “all purpose” gluten free flour that already has Xantham gum, so would I be able to leave out the xantham gum? Thanks!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

If you are trying a different flour blend that already has xanthan gum in it definitely don’t add more! I’m not sure if your flour blend will work, I haven’t had as much success when I’ve tried making them with different flours. I hope it works!

13. Colleen says

Hi! I love love love this recipe! Although I did read every single comment to see how other people’s cookies turned out I decided to give it a go for myself! I used Bob’s Red Mill flour (although people said not to) and mine turned out great! When I went to do the flour I did one cup at a time (put one cup in and mix it together, and so on). I did notice though after I added the second cup it was far too thick to mix with my hand mixer, so I had to knead 1/2 cup of flour by hand. I only ended up using 2 1/5 cups of flour and they turned out great! Thank you so much! 🙂

14. Toni says

I noticed that the special flour mixture you use for these cookies involves rice flour. Is there a different way to make that special blend? I’m allergic to gluten AND rice unfortunately so finding recipes is proving to be interesting

Hi Toni!
      I’m sorry that you have allergies to both rice and gluten, that makes things so much harder! Especially since most manufactured GF products use rice.
      I haven’t tested it, but what I would recommend trying is a combo of millet and sorghum flour instead of the rice flour. It will taste different, since those are flours with flavors, but with a little trial and error I think you’ll be able to at least get similar textural results. I wouldn’t recommend a bean based flour with this recipe. Good luck!

15. kelsey says

i have been trying to make these again but for some reason i can’t open the link that i had gotten in my email is there anyway you can send it to me again?

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

There has been some sort of issue just with the redirect from the email this morning. It is getting fixed. I’ll email you the direct link with the email address you used to comment.

16. Stephanie says

I’ve been trying to subscribe to your newsletter for two days and haven’t received a link for your recipe or newsletter. Is it possible to add me on your end? Thank you.

Hi Stephanie,
      My records show that you subscribed today. You should have gotten the recipe, it sends automatically less than a minute after you subscribe. Check your spam, sometimes it gets booted there. If you still can’t find it, let me know and I will try re sending it to you.

17. Andrea says

Just made these cookies last weekend after 8+ years of not having these types of cookies from the store. These were amazing! Great texture and your American Buttercream Frosting recipe really topped them off! I should admit I subbed your gluten free flour recommendations for a gluten free flour blend with xantham gum included (Namaste Foods brand), but I was still very pleased with the result. I will definitely be making these again! Thank you for the recipe!!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I am so happy that you enjoyed them Andrea! I have recognized that there are a lot of good gluten free flour blends now (that I think are better than my own.) So I am happy to hear that Namaste Foods Brand GF flour worked well for you. My favorite blends right now are GF Mama and GF Jules, but I haven’t tried them in these cookies yet. On my to-do list!

18. says

Hello! I submitted my email and have not received your gf lofthouse sugar cookie and frosting recipe. Will you please email me? My son was diagnosed with Chron’s disease and these will be perfect for him!! 🙂

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi! Often times the first email will get kicked to your spam or promotion tab. Did you check there? Also, which email did you use to register? Email me at flippindelicious(at)gmail(dot)com and I’ll help you get it sorted out.

19. Ashley says

Hi, I just signed up to receive this recipe, but did not get an email in my inbox or my spam. Please send me the recipe!!!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Ashley! Double check your spam. Often times it gets kicked there first. Once you confirm your subscription to my email newsletter the recipe will be automatically sent to you.
      Best,
      Brianna

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I would substitute another flour with a similar protein content. These substitutions from GFandMore Magazine are helpful. I would substitute a flour from the neutral/light column if you can, or I would use a flour from the high protein column like sorghum or millet. I would avoid anything flours with a strong flavor because there is nothing to mask their taste.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Well, it is certainly less calories to just look at them. 😉 It is hard to not eat them all though once you take a bite.

• Cindee says

My son chose these as the Christmas cookies this year, it’s his first full year Gluten Free and he was so excited I found these. However, for the flour blend, excuse my ignorance, I wasn’t planning on buying all those bags of flour as I don’t bake as often anymore as I’m so sad that things don’t always taste as great gluten free lol….so I was going to go to my local bulk health food store to buy what I needed to make the blend. And unfortunately I speak cups not part lol…so when you say 1 part brown rice flour and 1 part white is that like 1 cup of each and then the other tapioca flour and the other one is 1 cup as well? Or is it half a cup each of the other flours? Just a bit confused on the measurements if I wanted to make just a small batch of the flour enough to make the cookies, by just going to the health bulk store?

Thanks

Hi Cindee!
          1 part can be any measurement, as long as all of the parts are the same. 1 part can = 1 cup, or 1 part can = 6 cups, depending on how much flour you need.
          The reason I used parts instead of giving a specific cup measurement was so that readers could make as much or as little flour as they need. Just divide the total amount of flour you need by 4. That measurement is your “part.”
          Happy Baking!
          -Brianna

20. Kalan says

I can’t wait to try these cookies! I stumbled upon this recipie while looking for some GF holiday recipes for my son. In addition to gluten, he is also allergic to white potato. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative to the potato starch in your flour blend? I am having a hard time finding any premade GF flour blend without potato starch. Thanks!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Kalan! I would suggest substituting the potato starch in my flour blend with cornstarch or arrowroot. You should get similar results. Happy Baking!

21. says

I made these last year for a cookie swap party. I could NOT believe how similar they tasted to my favorite store bought iced cookies! Amazing job with these.

Trackbacks