These gluten free carrot zucchini muffins are low carb, refined sugar free, and full of fresh veggies. The perfect morning snack!
I have a sweet spot for muffins in my stomach. Muffins were one of the first things I learned to bake when I was a little girl.
Which I guess I say a lot, but gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins really were a staple in our home and I loved making them with my mom. Measuring and adding ingredients, stirring the batter, and licking the bowl of course.
These gluten-free carrot zucchini muffins are easy enough that you can make them with your kiddos if they want to help. Miss E loves helping me in the kitchen. I think she really spent more time playing with a whole carrot on a cutting board and dumping the salt shaker all over the floor than helping me make muffins but it is all about the experience.
She loves helping mommy! (If you don’t follow me on Instagram, you should. All the behind the scenes and previews of what I’m baking. )
Muffins make a great breakfast or snack but often times they are loaded with sugar.
Which of course never stops me from eating them.
I just wanted to create a gluten-free recipe that was going to fill my 28 week pregnant body with some nutrients and protein instead of giving my baby a sugar high.
I really didn’t miss the refined sugar in these gluten-free muffins at all.
They are slightly sweet and extra moist from the honey, freshly shredded zucchini and carrot for some fiber and nutrients, protein from the almond flour, a little rice flour to lighten up the texture, and whipped cream cheese to top them off.
If you are a fan of zucchini muffins, I think you’ll love my gluten free zucchini bread made in the blender. It is so easy!
If you want to avoid grains entirely instead of just doing it gluten-free you can try using an extra half a cup of almond flour instead of the rice flour. The muffins won’t be quite as light, but will still be delicious!
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- ½ cup oil (vegetable or coconut)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup finely shredded carrots
- 1¼ cups finely shredded zucchini
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or liberally grease.
- In a mixing bowl combine the almond flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Make a "well" in the dry ingredients and add the honey, oil, and eggs and stir to combine. The batter will be thick. Add the shredded carrots and zucchini and stir until they are evenly distributed.
- Fill each muffin liner with better so it is about ¾ full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden and the muffin springs back if you lightly touch it.
- Let cool before frosting, if desired.
- Whip the cream cheese until light and fluffy using an electric stand or handheld mixer. Add the honey and continue to whip until combined.
Some other scrumptious muffin recipes from yours truly…
Linked up at Gluten-Free and DIY Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, and Gluten-Free Wednesday