These gluten free carrot zucchini muffins are low carb, refined sugar free, and full of fresh veggies. The perfect morning snack!
I have a sweet spot for muffins in my stomach. Muffins were one of the first things I learned to bake when I was a little girl.
Which I guess I say a lot, but gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins really were a staple in our home and I loved making them with my mom. Measuring and adding ingredients, stirring the batter, and licking the bowl of course.
These gluten-free carrot zucchini muffins are easy enough that you can make them with your kiddos if they want to help. Miss E loves helping me in the kitchen. I think she really spent more time playing with a whole carrot on a cutting board and dumping the salt shaker all over the floor than helping me make muffins but it is all about the experience.
She loves helping mommy! (If you don’t follow me on Instagram, you should. All the behind the scenes and previews of what I’m baking. )
Muffins make a great breakfast or snack but often times they are loaded with sugar.
Which of course never stops me from eating them.
I just wanted to create a gluten-free recipe that was going to fill my 28 week pregnant body with some nutrients and protein instead of giving my baby a sugar high.
I really didn’t miss the refined sugar in these gluten-free muffins at all.
They are slightly sweet and extra moist from the honey, freshly shredded zucchini and carrot for some fiber and nutrients, protein from the almond flour, a little rice flour to lighten up the texture, and whipped cream cheese to top them off.
If you are a fan of zucchini muffins, I think you’ll love my gluten free zucchini bread made in the blender. It is so easy!
If you want to avoid grains entirely instead of just doing it gluten-free you can try using an extra half a cup of almond flour instead of the rice flour. The muffins won’t be quite as light, but will still be delicious!
You might also really enjoy my friend Erin’s Healthy Carrot Cake. It has a gluten-free option, and is the perfect healthier cake for celebrations.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or coconut)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 1/4 cups finely shredded zucchini
For the Whipped Cream Cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or liberally grease.
- In a mixing bowl combine the almond flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Make a "well" in the dry ingredients and add the honey, oil, and eggs and stir to combine. The batter will be thick. Add the shredded carrots and zucchini and stir until they are evenly distributed.
- Fill each muffin liner with better so it is about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden and the muffin springs back if you lightly touch it.
- Let cool before frosting, if desired.
For the whipped cream cheese
- Whip the cream cheese until light and fluffy using an electric stand or handheld mixer. Add the honey and continue to whip until combined.
You can easily use more carrot and less zucchini, or even all zucchini if you want. Just make sure the total amount of shredded vegetables in the recipe is the same.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 33mgSodium 177mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 4g
All nutrition info is a guestimate and will vary depending on the ingredients you use.
Some other scrumptious muffin recipes from yours truly…
Linked up at Gluten-Free and DIY Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, and Gluten-Free Wednesday