Coconut Flour Cookies (gluten free, grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free, egg free)

This page may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Flippin' Delicious!

Coconut flour cookies are for just about anyone to eat – they are gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, and egg-free. Super chewy and studded with chocolate chips, they go perfect with a glass of milk.

Coconut flour cookies are for just about anyone to eat - they are gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, and egg-free. Super chewy and studded with chocolate chips, they go perfect with a glass of milk.

Chocolate chip cookies really are a classic.

There is no arguing about that, it is a fact.

Everyone should be able to indulge in a chocolate chip cookie every once in a while. Even if they have different dietary restrictions. That is why I made these coconut flour cookies. They are gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and egg-free. They are also really chewy and studded with chocolate chips.

Though I am the resident gluten-free dinner fanatic at Food Fanatic, I really am a cookie fanatic too.

When I was 8 years old my sister (who was 6) and I sold chocolate chip cookies in our neighborhood and earned money to buy ourselves bikes. We baked hundreds of dozens of cookies, and that isn’t even the start of my love affair with cookies.

Cookies are one of the first things I remember baking with my mom. She isn’t much of a baker, but my sisters and I loved making cookies with her when we were little.

Fast forward however many years and now I’m the biggest cookie fanatic EVAH!

After I quit eating wheat and gluten, I had to rework a lot of my favorite recipes. Recreate them to get the cookies that I remembered. Well, I went past that a little bit and I made them better than I remembered them.

You know those soft frosted sugar cookies in the bakery section of the grocery store? The cakey ones with that thick layer of frosting and sprinkles? I mastered the gluten free soft frosted sugar cookie, even making a dairy-free version.

After that I moved on to mastering many other cookies, and writing an entire cookbook filled with gluten-free cookies. In less than 3 months I made (and ate) more than 50 different kinds of cookies.

And I wonder why I can’t drop the baby weight…

Anyways… back to the chocolate chip cookies. Everyone should be able to eat a chocolate chip cookie every once in awhile, no matter what their dietary restrictions. And that cookie shouldn’t taste like cardboard.

If you are a fan of oatmeal cookies, like I am, then I think you’ll love my friend Texanerin’s Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies. They aren’t grain-free but can be made refined sugar-free with coconut sugar.

It took many batches, varying the ingredients and proportions each time, but I think that I have created a darn good coconut flour cookie recipe. They are gluten-free grain-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and egg free. I think almost anyone can eat them! (Except those folks with almond and coconut allergies, sorry.)

They do have coconut flour (of course) and a little bit of almond flour too. Coconut flour needs a lot of moisture, so I used honey to sweeten these cookies. The coconut flour just soaks up all the moisture.

The dough will be a bit more “batter-y” than traditional cookie dough. That comes from the honey and coconut oil. As the dough sits for a few minutes before you scoop it – it will get a bit thicker.

These cookies also don’t spread as much when they bake, so you have to help them out a bit and pat the cookies out just a before you bake them. If you have a scale, use the weight measurements for best results.

The results and sweet, chewy, and very satisfying. Especially with a glass of your favorite milk.

Comments

• Amanda says

Hi Do you know a good substitution for the almond flour? My children have allergies to nuts, eggs and dairy. It’s very hard to find recipes that actually turn out minus eggs, nuts and dairy.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Amanda! I haven’t personally made these cookies without the almond flour, but I had several people comment and say that they used ground oats and they turned out great. Check the comments, they gave the amounts they substituted.

1. Virginia says

Hi Brianna, I have avoided using coconut flour in the past because most of the recipes use eggs for moisture or the finished product is grainy or crumbly. I will try these. Is there a particular coconut flour brand that you can recommend? Thank you.

Thanks Virginia!
      I’ve used Trader Joe’s coconut flour, and another coconut flour that I don’t remember the brand of (it was one my mom had on hand when we were visiting.) I’m sorry I don’t have a better suggestion for which brands are good. I think Danielle from Against All Grain was working on a post about coconut flour. She references it HERE, but I couldn’t find her finished post, I don’t think it is up yet.

• Virginia says

Hi Brianna,
        Thank you. I have prepared this recipes twice. On both occasions I have used the Trader Joe’s Coconut flour. Both times I did not have mini chocolate chips – I used 1/4 cup of chopped average-sized bittersweet chocolate chips. The first time, I prepared them as indicated. YUM!!! The next time, my sister came to visit, so I added a pinch of ground cayenne and ground cinnamon because she prefers spicy and hot chocolate-based treats. She was delighted!!! They were chewy and delicious. Once again, thank you.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Yay! I’m so happy that you’ve enjoyed them Virginia! The cayenne and cinnamon sounds like a great addition! I don’t often add spice to cookies like that, but it is a genius idea. I LOVE Mexican hot chocolate. I’ll have to try the spice next time I make them.
          It makes me so happy when people come back and comment. It helps me to see how my recipes actually help people, which makes my day! Thank you!

Hi Heather,
      I am sorry, but I don’t know of anything that would substitute for the almond flour straight across. You could try a little rice flour? or use more coconut flour? You’ll have to play around with it a bit to make it nut-free, sorry! I wasn’t able to get the cookie to have the texture that I wanted it to have without a little almond flour.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

That is great to hear! Thanks for commenting Sv. I hope that it helps other people who can’t do almonds. (also I have a bunch of quinoa flour to use up, so I’ll have to give it a try!)

2. Alisia domer says

IThis recipe says it will make 18, but I only got about 10 cookies out of it. And I didn’t even leave them in as long as it said and they burned! Definitely gonna watch them closer next time

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I am sorry that your cookies didn’t turn out as you hoped!
      The amount of cookies that the recipe makes will vary if your scoops of dough were different sized than mine. Despite all best efforts, sometimes you’ll get more or less cookies with a recipe. I love using measured spring-loaded cookie scoops (like ice cream scoops but smaller) because they give much more consistent results.
      It is also possible that your oven temperature is off, or you have a hot spot. I have an oven thermometer, which I love! I always know exactly what temperature my oven is and it helps to prevent baking fails. It is also a good idea to rotate your pans halfway through baking in case you have hot spots.
      I hope that helps a little bit. Happy Baking!

Hi Lori,
      I don’t do a nutritional breakdown for my recipes, but I know that there are lots of sites that will give you the nutrition info if you enter the ingredients. I have used my fitness pal before, but I know there are a lot of websites that will calculate it for you. Google “nutrition info calculator” or something like that and I am sure you will find a tool that is easy for you to use.

3. Jenna says

Just made these and they are delicious! I subbed honey for maple syrup since that is what I had on hand. I found that the recipe only made 12 cookies, even though they were very small. Still, they are amazing! I will definitely be making these again (and doubling the recipe so they don’t get eaten so quickly!) Thanks for this great recipe!

4. Lisa says

Any chance you know a good replacement for the almond flour? I would love to try these except the almonds are a no-no unfortunately 🙁

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I haven’t tried anything else, Lisa. But I would think you could substitute another nut-flour or nut-meal and get similar results. Hope that helps!

• Melanie says

Lisa & Heather -We are nut free as well. But a Great option to substitute almond Flour is CASSAVA FLOUR 🙂 But would suggest using less Cassava Flour then what recipe calls for. This recipe looks GREAT!!! My kids LOVE chocolate cookies with Cassava flour which is a plus!! Thanks for posting recipe 🙂

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I LOVE cassava flour! If you try it, let me know. I have only ever used cassava for tortillas… because they are amazing and there is none left for baking anything else.
          Thanks for stopping by Melanie! I hope you and your kids enjoy the cookies.

5. Eileen says

Hi!
    The recipe looks great, and I’m looking forward to trying more of your recipes!
    My question is, is the coconut oil melted or solid.
    Thanks!!

Hi Eileen!
      If I recall correctly, mine was melted. It was July so the temp was above 70 and the coconut oil was liquid. Melted or softened coconut oil will work just fine. Because you mix it with the honey I don’t think it will make a difference whether or not it is melted as long as it is soft enough to mix smoothly with the honey.
      Hope that helps. Happy Baking!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I haven’t tried it, but it is possible someone else has. I don’t have a lot of experience with agave, but in my memory it is runnier than honey so maybe use a little less? If you try it, be sure to comment back so everyone else will know if it worked or not.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Sage! I do not normally calculate nutrition facts for my recipes. If you are looking for a calorie count you can calculate it yourself using the ingredients you use. I don’t calculate nutrition facts often,so I don’t have a site I recommend but I have used My Fitness Pal in the past. (years ago!)

6. says

I have tried these cookies multiple times, and they were delish! I did mint chocolate chunks, and felt like I was eating real chocolate chip/sugar cookies:) A couple questions… Both times I made these cookies, there was excess liquid (oil maybe) that I had to drain
    out in order for the cookies to form solid. I used Bob’s red mill coconut flour, and let it sit for 10+ minutes. The only changes I made were doubling the batch (even let dough sit for longer so it would absorb) and melting coconut oil in the oven to make a liquid. Delish, but any suggestions to make the process be easier/speedier? Maybe I need to use an electric mixer, or was the double batch maybe messing it up?
    Thanks!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi! I am so happy that you have been enjoying this recipe!
      It is hard to know exactly where the excess liquid is coming from without being in the kitchen with you.
      I have heard that some coconut flours absorb differently than others (if I remember correctly I was using Trader Joe’s coconut flour?) . If that is the case, and your coconut flour doesn’t absorb as much as mine did you might just need a little less oil. Doubling the batch could have something to do with it too, like you thought. Doubling it would mean there would be twice as much excess oil, if the absorption is different with your coconut flour.
      When I made them I was using an electric mixer, which helps to emulsify the batter. That might have been part of the reason why there was liquid that would separate out.
      Hope that helps!
      Happy Baking!

7. victoria says

Just what I am looking for! Question: Have you ever frozen this dough to bake later? Or, any dough with coconut flour or GF flour (like your *famous* sugar cookies)? We are hosting a celebration and I need to bake ahead of time. I prefer to make the dough a week ahead of time, then bake a day or two before.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

I haven’t ever frozen this coconut flour cookie dough to bake later, but I have frozen my sugar cookie dough. I have also frozen baked and frosted sugar cookies for several weeks (they never last longer than that!) They are perfectly fresh and soft once they defrost.
      My favorite cookie dought to freeze if my gluten free giant chocolate chip cookies. I will make normal sized cookies out of them too. Just scoop the dough, and freeze. Then bake according to the directions straight from the freezer. They may take a few extra minutes, but they always turn out perfect for me.

8. Jaclyn says

These sound delish! I’m new to dietary allergies/restrictions so appreciate the great recipe. We are unable to consume nuts – would these work with ONLY coconut flour or do you think I could sub rice flour? Thanks!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Jaclyn! I do not know of anything that would substitute 1 to 1 for the almond flour. You’ll have to experiment! Let me know if you find a sub that works out.

• Joy says

You could sub ground sunflower seeds in place of almonds. I have done that successfully in other recipes. I plan to try this recipe with that sub as I too am nut free, dairy free, gluten free, and egg free.

9. LORILYNN FROST says

So excited to try this recipe… Quick question…

What can I substitute for almond flour & in what quantity? I’m new to the gluten + grain free world, so I’m still learning. Most everything has almond flour in it, but I have an almond allergy, so there’s got to be a substitute that works for this cookie!!

Thank you so much!!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Lorilynn! I haven’t tried any substitutions for the almond flour but another reader subbed freshly ground gluten free quick oats (pulsed in a blender until flour like consistency.) She said they turned out fabulous! Hope that helps.

10. Steph says

Looks delicious!! Is there any alternative to using almond flour? I’d love to make these for vacation tomorrow but I can’t eat almonds. I’m DF, SF and WF for my baby.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Steph! I haven’t tried any substitutions but another reader subbed freshly ground gluten free quick oats (pulsed in a blender until flour like consistency.) She said they turned out fabulous! Sorry I didn’t respond in time for vacation. You can always email me (flippindelicious(at)gmail(dot)com) if you have any more questions. With the busy summer and kids home from school I haven’t been able to moderate comments as often. But email I check a minimum of 2x a day during the week.

11. Anita says

Love these!
    I have a nut allergy but am able to eat coconut. I subbed in freshly ground gluten free quick oats made into flour for the almond flour.
    I also added some unsweetened flaked coconut because I am not used to the texture of gluten free baking just yet. (And I love coconut!)

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Thanks so much Anita! I am so happy that you found a substitute that worked so well. Thank you for sharing it with everyone.

12. SUZEN OCALLAGHAN says

Hi,
    I am wondering if I can subtitute the almond flour with another Gluten free one, rice or chick pea or other? I am allergic to almonds. Other than that these ch. chip cookies look really great. Thanks for the recipe!

Hi Suzen!
      I haven’t tried another flour, but I know that a reader used freshly ground GF oats and had good results. She left a comment a few months ago so you can see what she did.
      Let me know what you try! Happy Baking!

• Kelly says

I made these cookies today and they are amazing! Nicely sweet without having that feeling of a sugar hangover!
      I used chickpea flour in place of the almond flour and they turned out perfect. I like using chickpea flour in baking because I find it yields a nice chewy texture that’s perfect for cookies.
      I also used maple syrup because…well…I love it! I’m Canadian, it’s in my blood!

Hi Kelly!
        It is a great idea to sub chickpea flour for the almond flour. I’ll have to try it!
        Plus maple syrup is a genius sub! I love maple syrup, I’ll have to try it next time.
        So happy that you loved these cookies!

Hi Megan,
      You are not able to omit the honey without making some other substitutions. You could try using maple syrup or agave, but they have different consistencies so you wouldn’t be able to substitute them straight across. If you try substituting another sweetener come back and comment so that I (and other readers) know what worked or didn’t work for you.

13. Lynne says

I had high hopes for these, but they are just crumbles of piles. I did follow the recipe exactly, but this one was a fail for me. I don’t think I’ve had any luck with coconut flour at all, but I’ll keep trying!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Lynne, I am sorry they didn’t turn out for you! Coconut flour can be very fickle and absorption rates vary by brand. The weather has also made recipes using coconut flour turn funky on me.
      For that reason I only have a few recipes that I use coconut flour in. It is a difficult flour to use!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

My best guess is that it is the coconut flour. It is a very fickle flour and many different brands absorb liquid differently. I would try adding a little bit more coconut flour until you have a scoopable dough. Just be careful because if you add too much it will make your cookies dry.

14. Felicity says

Hi, I just made two batches of these and they are delicious :)) I turned my oven down because the sides burnt on my first batch. The second batch is chewy and sweet and as good as any ‘normal’ cookie hurrah!!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

YAY! I am so happy that you are enjoying this recipe Felicity! All ovens bake so differently, I always have a thermometer in my oven now to monitor the temperature. I am glad that they baked perfectly the second time around.

15. LuLuBelly says

Love this recipe! I used some orange oil to give it a slightly different flavor! Also, for convection baking, it only takes between 7-8 minutes for the larger cookies!

16. M says

This recipe is great! Both of our kids have multiple food allergies and there aren’t many things I’ve made for non allergic family that they haven’t wished were made with ‘regular’ ingredients but these have been a hit every time.

I use male syrup instead of honey and substitute the almond flour (one of our allergies) for hazelnut meal which gives an almost Nutella flavour

17. says

The first time I made these it was a catastrophe because I subbed out the chocolate chips with cacao because I could not find vegan chocolate chips (huge mistake) nor did I have vanilla extract. The second time I had ALL the required ingredients. I used regular sized chocolate chips, not the minis. I wasn’t sure if I was suppose to melt the coconut oil or not (instructions did not specify) but I didn’t. My cookie dough scoops were nearly a tablespoon and I did not over flatten the dough when placing them on the baking sheet. The results: 11, perfectly soft, chewy, just the right thickness, and sweetness cookies even my non vegan husband loved.

18. Lori W says

I just found this cookie recipe. But the cookies melded together into a giant one while baking. I’m sure I followed the directions completely, including the rest time. It tastes pretty good, but…so do you have any suggestions??

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Different brands of coconut flour (and even almond flour) can absorb differently, which could have caused that. When I baked the cookies, they didn’t spread very much at all.
      Next time I would try adding a little more coconut flour so that the dough doesn’t spread as much, and then I would space the cookies further apart.
      Happy Baking! -Brianna

19. says

I thought I’d post about the almond flour because I started to make these and remembered I was out of almond flour. I ground 1/4C Walnuts, in the food processor and used it. Delicious and may even like it better than almond flavoring as it is reminiscent of the way I always made chocolate chip cookies with walnuts.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Alisha, Walnuts sound like a flavorful substitute. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for commenting and letting me know how it worked. -Brianna

20. Claudia says

Just made these and I couldn’t wait to try them! They really hit the spot! These are so delicious and they have just perfect crunch! In exception of one thing…they were too sweet for my taste buds. So next time I make them I will add 1/2 of 1/4 honey but other that these are truly satisfying. Thank you for the recipie.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Theresa, absolutely! The vanilla is just used as a flavoring. You are welcome to substitute your favorite flavoring, or omit it.

21. Heather says

These are in my oven right now, but somehow I only got five cookies from this recipe. I’m a terrible cook though, so it’s definitely something I did. Thanks for sharing GF vegan cookies! So hard to find a recipe that is both. I’ve been experimenting with chia seed eggs but they change the flavor. I’m stoked to try these in a few minutes!

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Dave, it depends on the recipe. For this recipe, you can use coconut oil that is softened or melted. It will not work if the coconut oil is completely firm and solid. Hope that helps.
      -Brianna

22. Christina says

I was craving chocolate chip cookies the other day and then I stumbled upon this post…

My own batch just came out of the oven and they are amazing! I followed the recipe ratio exactly, but used all coconut flour, and sprinkled some sea salt on top. I personally think they taste better than regular choco chip cookies.

THANK YOU! I’m so glad I found this recipe 🙂

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Maria, this recipe does make a smaller batch, but I have always gotten more than 10 small cookies.

• flippindeliciousflippindelicious says

Hi Katrina, There is nothing that I know of that would work for the honey in this recipe. The honey holds the dough together, and anything with a different viscosity wouldn’t work the same way, even maple syrup or agave.

23. Jennifer says

We made these yesterday and they were beyond amazing. I’ve been gf refined sugar free for a year and a half and having a serious sweet tooth has made it a challenge. No other gf cookies come close to these. Dip them in almond milk and omgoodness! Thank you so much! Instant family favorite

Trackbacks