The best gluten free fudgy brownie recipe I have ever made! Rich and fudgy made with cocoa powder, they have the perfect flaky top.
Photos updated 8/2016
Ashton at Something Swanky is one of my favorite bloggers. No, her blog isn’t gluten-free but just go and look at her pictures. They make my mouth water! A few months ago Ashton posted a recipe for these amazing Browned Butter Brownies. I made a few changes to the recipe that Ashton shared and this was my result.
I had been searching high and low for a gluten free brownie that my husband likes. I hadn’t successfully made a gluten-free brownie that tasted just like the gluten-filled ones I used to make with a boxed mix.
I think these ones are even better! Just look at that flaky top…
I have made them several times, with browned butter and without. I loved the subtle nuttiness that the browned butter adds but my husband preferred these brownies without the browned butter because it tastes more traditional.
If you have to eat dairy free you can easily use vegan butter or even your cooking oil of choice. That is what we do since we are a dairy free household right now.
Since baking this gluten free fudgy brownie recipe I have used it in my gluten free cookie dough brownies, no churn cream cheese brownie ice cream, no churn gluten free cookie dough brownie ice cream, gluten free caramel stuffed brownies, and I adapted it for fall inspired dairy free gluten free pumpkin swirl brownies.
This recipe is super versatile and is always a hit.
Just look at how fudgy these brownies are!
If fudgy brownies aren’t your thing, you’ll have to check out my gluten free dairy chocolate chewy brownies.
Next on my list to conquer….the perfect gluten free cakey brownie!
- ½ c. +2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted (or vegan butter, or oil)
- 1¼ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. my rice flour blend OR another high quality gluten free flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 8x8 glass pan(or line with parchment paper)
- Pour the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the sugar and cocoa powder and beat until smooth and almost creamy. (I will also just mix it by hand with a bowl and spatula until smooth.)
- Add the salt and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between each addition.
- Add the gluten free flour blend and mix well. The batter will be thick.
- Use a sturdy spatula to spread batter in the prepared 8x8 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs and no wet batter.
- Let cool, then cut into 2" squares. Try really hard to not eat them all yourself.